Daytime owl

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RedfogsFlock, Aug 24, 2010.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Last night I went out to kennel up my geese. When I went out the boys were sittin out in the open sounding the alarm? At first I looked around and saw nothing so I figured they were just losing their minds, or there was a coyote at the fence line. I opened their coop door & told to them go in. They would walk up to the door & at the last minute run away. After about the 3rd time of this I goto their door to look in their coop to see what's inside that is going to eat them lol....... and I hear a hoot hoot. I of course froze cuz owls here are so super huge! And sitting about 3 foot right above my head is the biggest owl i've ever seen! He was perched right on top of my chicken coop! I start making a scene & scare him off. I made sure to put ALL animals in covered coops last night. (we have 3 that arent covered)
    I wake up and this owl is sittin on the corner of my house! I once again scare him off, and now he's sitting in the tree just outside of my property line. I've tried to get pics, but he hears me coming & flys to the other side of the property. I didn't see him this morning until AFTER I let the girls & boys out to free range! So now i've made a buffet of birds for him!

He's not trying to get them yet, but he did get two of my girls while I was on vacation. So we're figuring he thinks hey easy meal & now he won't leave. Our dilema is.....Our coops are big enough for everyone to roost at night, but NOT for everyone to stay in all day! If I take the ducks, rabbits, goats, & baby turkeys out of their uncovered coops & put em in with the other 38 birds in the 3 covered coops they will be to crowded and possibly overheat! I go back to work tomorrow & our heat is horrible so leaving them penned is really not an option! 2 of our uncovered coops are covered by a mesquite tree & has been sufficient coverage till now for the goats & turkeys. Our rabbits have a hutch in their coop & we'll hutch em up while gone. They free range all day too & it'll make them mad but oh well right?

What to do what to do? And here I thought owls only hunted at night!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I was in a Louisiana forest one day, sitting very still and I saw a mouse walk just within 5 feet of me. Then to my surprise, a Barred owl flew down from the tree above and took that mouse right there in front of me, all in the middle of the day. Yes, they can hunt in the middle of the day. Now that your owl has a taste for your chickens it will likely stay around. Can you expand their runs at all?

3. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    I don't know really. The main one was here when we moved in. It has a 6 inch wooden roof. All our coops are chain link with plywood roofs. If maybe we could leave the turkeys out during the day, then maybe. Our turkeys are about 40 pounds each. One of our coops has one rooster in it. Even though he's mean to the ducks he's good to the girls. He fights though with the other 6 roosters that are all out & get along. Maybe I can put him in an uncovered coop? [​IMG] I could then put the ducks & geese together in a coop.

I wish he had done this 3 days ago while I'm off, lol. Now I have to work tomorrow & it's already to hot to do anything today. [​IMG]

I was afraid it would stick around. [​IMG] Wow that would be one of those instances that I would wish for a camera! I tried to get pics of him, but he sees me coming & flys from one tree to the other. I can see right into my coops from my living room so I'm watching closely. My girls aren't running back & forth to the house today so I think they know he's there. All the birds are staying under the mesquite tree & in their coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by