daytime predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sidlou, Aug 13, 2010.

1. sidlou

sidlou Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Weare NH
    Some predator very quietly took one of my chickens midday. I was home and outside most of the day, there was no squawking from the chicken that was taken nor from my other hen. I noticed her missing when the other hen called her and she didn't come. I found a trail of feathers beginning in the woods that ended suddenly, but no other remains. There is no indication where she was taken from in the yard and the hens never enter the woods. Any ideas who the predator may be? My remaining chicken is staying in the pen (chain link with a roof). Do you think she is safe? thanks so much for your help.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] I wish you were here under better circumstances. Knowing where you live would give us a better idea of what you are dealing with. Usually a silent snatch and grab is perpetrated by a bigger predator such as a fox or coyote. Do you have those where you live?

3. sidlou

Aug 13, 2010
    Weare NH
    I live in Weare NH which is a rural area but not remote. I have never seen a coyote although a couple months ago, I did hear one, one night. I have never seen fox but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some. My neighbor lost 3 chickens a few months ago that he thinks were from fox but this occurred at night. I was surprised that something wojuld take her midday. Incidentally, I also have 2 dogs which surprisingly didn't bark and usually if something is in the yard they let me know.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry for your hen and her friend [​IMG]. Sadly, it doesn't sound like your hen was able to get away but sometimes they do and are injured and need our help. This happened to my roo some years back (fox - neighbor saw) - thankfully I found him with an extensive search. He was a distance away from where feathers stopped, had hidden deep in a dense holly tree....I had to call him for a long time before he answered me. He was quite injured but he healed and is well today.....

Whether yor remaining hen will be safe in roofed chain linked area is not known but may be okay if it was fox. I assume they get locked in a coop at night. The pred will unfortunately be back, as I know you know.

Put or drop or two of Rescue Remedy in the water for the survivor to hopefully help her with the stress of what she witnessed. She will also be too lonely by herself and needs a friend or friends.

JJ

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would guess fox. I lost seven chickens in two days last summer. They just disappeared. I found a feather or two at the fence line and nothing else. One disappeared while I would outside within about 10 minutes of seeing him! They all vanished between 11:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Then one day I heard my chickens carrying on and noticed the squirrels were also making a lot of noise in the trees. I looked to my left just in time to see a fox slinking into the woods. We set out traps but never caught him. Hubby made an enclosed run and we kept the chickens in the run for about a month, but then started letting them out again. We never saw the fox since.

If they are small, maybe a hawk could have taken her away.

6. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Fox and Coyote are in every state on the east coast. Here in NJ the coyote population has exploded and becoming a real problem. I can see it happening in NH also. I will lean towards coyote as fox are more of a nite time raider. I have had yotes circling my coop mid day. They have fallen victim to Maybelline (my .22 Marlin). They are braisin and if hungry enuff will take a bird from under your nose. What you are describing is exactly how they operate. They grab and run. When they are far enuff away to feel safe they eat.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I live just outside one of the 10 biggest cities in NH and I have seen foxes, coyotes and bobcats all hunting during the day. You may not have seen them, but they are all around you. Any one of those could be your culprit. And if your chicken was smallish then add raptors to that list.

Sorry for your loss.

8. sidlou

Aug 13, 2010
    Weare NH
    I never found any remains just a few slightly bloodied feathers, what looked like egg remains and a small piece of fatty like tissue. Is it possible she is still alive?

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    By far the most common daytime predator of the four legged kind would be a dog.

As for the possibility of the chicken still being alive it is not unknown to have chickens thought to having been predator meals show up safe and a bit shaken.

You need to call to your chicken and perhaps you'll be one of the lucky ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by