"Dazed" hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2dogs1cat, Aug 19, 2010.

1. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My BA is just not her normal bossy self today. She's been sitting away from the others and hasn't come running when I've gone out. She looks like a she dazed or drugged. I picked her up, not normal at all, and put her in the hen hotel to check her. Her pupils are very dilated and her breathing seems slow. Offered BOSS but she wouldn't even check it out. She has yet to lay and I wonder if that could be the issue...trying but not happening?

What do I do????

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Could she have gotten into some bad food? [​IMG] It almost sounds like poison. Since she hasn't begun to lay I don't think she is broody (would be on a nest anyway). Maybe an egg is impending--mine aren't laying yet so I don't know.

Go back to Emergency index--post and fill out the "sticky" to give more info and maybe it'll help someone with more experience to chime in.

3. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    She's back to normal today. I found a soft broken egg under her roost spot. That must have been the cause of her discomfort.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Oh, good news!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by