Dazed Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicole116, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Nicole116

Nicole116 New Egg

Oct 31, 2014
    I keep 4 hens in a small backyard coop. Recently, one of my Brahma Buffs started acting kind of "dazed"
    She recently went through molt and isn't laying at this time. Her comb is pale in comparison to my other hens. She is spending time by herself and seems uninterested in the other girls. She comes out when I feed, but then only picks at food. She isn't interested in free ranging. Her gait is off and she seems to have difficulty walking straight. She is around 18 months old.
    Any advice is welcomed. Thank You

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It sounds like a hard moulter. I've had them too. Poultry Nutri-Drench is a product which could help your bird.
    http://www.nutridrench.com/poultry-nutri-drench.html
    Give 1/2 cc and a 100 iu Vitamin E soft gel orally once a day. A 1cc syringe with no needle is easier to use than the cap dropper it comes with. Give vitamins-electrolytes for 3 days a week in water, and Probios dispersible powder in water to help with digestion. Probios is 1 tsp per gallon.
    http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules1.html
    Make sure the bird is eating and drinking on it's own and not getting picked on. Do that until the bird seems stable. Products I mentioned are commonly stocked at local feed stores. Let me know how it goes in a day or two of treatment. What is the protein percentage of the layer ration you are feeding?

3. Nicole116

Nicole116 New Egg

Oct 31, 2014
    Thank you for the advice. I am sorry to say that my hen died overnight.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm sorry to hear that. I know how it feels to lose a special hen or rooster. Continue to supplement water with the others like I mentioned. You may want to do a 5-7 day treatment of Corid for coccidiosis, then supplement with vitamin-probiotics for 3 days. After they are finished moulting, it would be a good idea to deworm them if you have not recently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by