dazed, possibly blind

panayo

Hatching
Nov 11, 2015
my 7 year old chicken, tandouri, is walking into everything. her wings are droopy and she doesnt react when i put my hands near her eyes. her comb looks a little odd and her butt is covered in poop even though she isnt actively pooping everywhere. she feels really warm but its only 23°C today. when she walks into me i can feel her pressing her beak on me, as if shes using it to feel her way around. her walking is wobbly and if i pick her up she pants loudly .

this is a (badly taken) picture of her comb, if that helps. you cant really see it but theres lots of lumpy bits growing off it as if its diseased of something
note: sorry if i posted this before, this website acts odd on mobile

Last edited:
I have a almost 5 year old hen who only has half her vision because of being pecked in the eye. Your hen sounds like she may be blind and the droopy wings and poop on her butt is probably because of her age although 7 isn't really that old for a hen.

They're is a test to see if she truly is blind. Slowly move your finger tords her eye. Did she blink? If she did she is not blind. But if she didn't she probably is blind. Just don't move your finger to close to her eye or you might touch her eye. :)

As for her comb, she may just be dehydrated or it may because of her age.

Last edited:
I have a almost 5 year old hen who only has half her vision because of being pecked in the eye. Your hen sounds like she may be blind and the droopy wings and poop on her butt is probably because of her age although 7 isn't really that old for a hen.

They're is a test to see if she truly is blind. Slowly move your finger tords her eye. Did she blink? If she did she is not blind. But if she didn't she probably is blind. Just don't move your finger to close to her eye or you might touch her eye.
smile.png

As for her comb, she may just be dehydrated or it may because of her age.

sorry for the late reply, she ended up being put down after she stopped being able to walk at all. thanks for your reply though

Back
Top Bottom