DBF finished his first electric car!

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
DBF and his business partner finished their first electric car conversion together last week. It's a Toyota RAV-4 and can go ~150 miles in the city, ~100 freeway. They're in the process of spiffing it up and getting it ready to show it off to sell. I'm super proud of him. Their company is called "Powered by DC".

Just occurred to me that the name will take on extra meaning if the Obama camp does as much as they've said they will to promote green cars & clean technology.

I'll post pics once he says it's ready. It just looks like any other Toyota RAV-4... until you lift the hood. WHOA!

Wow that is really cool.....can the do a mini van next? I am perplexed to why the auto industry has not made a hybrid or electric mini van yet. Out of all the cars on the planet I would think they get the most wear and tear.

Good for him!
clap.gif

I have wondered for the past two years why the auto industry doesn't make more efficient vehicles, ever since we had a guest speaker at my school who was talking about environmental issues and mentioned a car one of his friends built. It got over 300 miles per gallon!!!

so obviously the technology is there, the auto industry just doesn't want to use it for whatever reason.

Congrats! That's very exciting!

Is this all electric or plug-in hybrid?

What kind of range are they getting on the batteries? I understand that the Toyota Prius is supposed to come out with a P-I Hybrid, but the range doesn't seem long enough to be worth it. There are aftermarket conversions with a better range than Toyota is planning to offer. The GM Volt sounds better, if they can get it off the ground before bankruptcy.
hmm.png

I want one!

It's all electric. They're just entering the testing phase, so they don't know how far it'll go yet. They built it to go 150 around town on a single charge.

Anyone in the Seattle area looking to buy an all electric car?
wink.png

GM actually had a production electric car in the 90's. This was not a prototype, but a production line automobile. They were available only in CA and AZ, and could only be leased. I had a friend who had one and he loved it. They were all recalled and crushed susposedly because battery technology was not advancing. Check out the EV-1

Back
Top Bottom