DBF found a chicken tonight... (mystery on why, solved)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Oct 12, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    ... OK, so it was our chicken but she wasn't where she was supposed to be.

Tonight we left the girls around 6:30 in the back yard to free range while we went grocery shopping. When we got home at nearly 8, I hopped out of the car to go lock up the coop. I peeked in, saw a roosting bar full of chickens (didn't do a head count) and then went back to the car to help bring in the groceries.

At the car in the carport, DBF was holding Dumpling! He said, "look who I've got". I had walked right past her when I went to the coop. DBF was unloading the car when he heard a funny noise and turned to see her roosting on some boxes stored in the carport.

The best we can figure, Dumpling got up there right around the time we left, got comfy, and forgot to go back to the coop before it was light enough for her to still see. Getting her back into the coop was a bit of a chore but at least gave me the chance to pet our RIR who is super skittish.

Silly chickens!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    That's funny. I found one of my roo's--the one on the bottom of the pecking order...in our insulated cat house on the flannel blankie one night.

if i wasn't worried about raccoons and such, i would have left him in there. he looked all snuggley and cute.

me,
    g

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Dumpling, what a cute name! I have one chicky named Nugget, and another that will probably get stuck with Popcorn! Also have/had a Chicken Little, but not sure if she is still around. Either her or her sister is missing, and I can't tell them apart, without them being side by side!
    Don't mind if I steal that one do ya?? [​IMG]

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I had to chase one of my black silkies back into the coop at 8 o'clock! She was still out under the new coop I haven't moved them to yet. She saw the porch light on and decided to stick around for a bit longer.

Couldn't get her in alone, had to ask the neighbor who was out to help me corner her.... she's still a bit skittish.

Man those chickens would be happy if it was day all the time!

5. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I don't mind if you borrow the name at all! I thought we were so clever when we named our RIR "Nugget". We laughed ourselves silly one night coming up with possible chicken names: Lay, Dees ("Lay and Dees laid dees"), Teriyaki, Kebab (one of my favs), Skewer, Kiev, Alaking, Pot Pie, Cordon Bleu, etc. It was our evening entertainment, lol.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah it is fun coming up with names for our animals! I just yesterday got a baby pot-bellied pig, and was trying to figure out what to call him. I told my dad that I should have gotten two, to name one 'Frank' and the other 'Beans' (Frank's and Beans pen, or Frank's and Bean's babies). My 3-year-old decided on Horton, since he just got the Horton hears a who book! But I thought frank-n-beans would have been cute!! Also mulled over porkchop, but that didn't sit well with the kid either!
    I don't know if anyone else has a chicken named Popcorn. We should start a thread on silly animal names!! So mine are chicken Nugget, and Popcorn chicken! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have heard of some called Noodles, that is a good one too! idk why I never thought of 'Dumpling', I like dumplings much better than noodles!! [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Frank & beans?

Probalby not a great idea... it's um... how to say this delicately... is another way of saying <ahem> "twig & berries".
    [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Took me a minute to get the meaning!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:hehe
    I've had Nugget, Potpie, Hotwing, Drumstick, Noodle (Chicken Noodle!), Giblet.... Never thought of Dumpling or Kebab. I'll have to keep those in the back of my mind! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by