DC Heritage Poultry - has anyone used this breeder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Thiriel, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Thiriel

Thiriel Just Hatched

I was wondering if anyone has ever used this breeder for their chickens? I've never heard of this place before,but I want to give them a try because they have the breeds I want and they can fly the chicks to my local airport or possible mail them via Canada Post - which is great because it means I wont have to order from the states (I'm in Canada), drive an hour or two down to some place in Maine I've never been to, then drive back, get through the border and hope that I don't kill any chicks in the process.

The thing is I would like to hear from some people who have used this breeder, I want to know if there have been any issues, either with chick health, customer service, etc. I'm not looking to show or anything fancy, I just want healthy chickens that I can feed to my family and friends, even if it means that I have to go through all the steps listed above.

2. PeacockJoJo

PeacockJoJo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    DO NOT use this breeder. We made the mistake of several orders from there. Many of their breeds were clearly inbred, and failed to thrive. I have 2 year old cream legbar roosters that are only slightly larger than seramas. Very low hatch rate as well. Afterwards, I learned that the owners also ran a puppy mill until it was shut down. They were able to do this due to the lack of animal cruelty laws. The information I have is from research, personal experience, and from American Poultry Association ACE program examiners and judges.

3. Thiriel

Thiriel Just Hatched

Thanks for the info, I was searching the forums and saw something about that but wasn't to sure if it was them or not.

This is exactly the reason why I want to do research like this at least one year before I commit. I don't want to give money to someone who cares about money more than quality and I don't want o end up broken hearted because I put time and effort into ill-bred chickens.

Are there any other breeders in Canada who ship that you would recommend? I heard Performance Poulty is good, but I want to make sure first....

4. Chickenfever16

Chickenfever16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2017
    I know I am entering this late but I would like to add to this thread if anyone ever searches for DC Heritage poultry.

I had heard through word of mouth that this was a good breeder with healthy chickens. I was impressed with them over the phone and the breeds they had available, so I drove 7 hours in one day to get birds from them. I had recently been through a MG infection and was starting all over again. I spent hours and hours disinfecting my property to such a degree that you could eat off my coop floor! These ladies knew that I had been through that and informed me that they have great biosecurity.

Well, when I got there the birds were all crammed into pens in a garage with chicks piled high in cages. The pens were dirty, the chickens dirty, underweight and quite feather plucked. I had been warned that the garage setting would be intimidating but that there birds are indeed healthy. I had driven all that way so I chose breeds that I wanted and they boxed them up.

When I got home, the birds they have selected for me were very sad looking and were sick. Underweight. Dirty. Feather plucked. Sneezing. Raspy breathing. Others, looked ok. So I took them to the vet and had testing done. They tested positive for Mycoplasma. Exactly what I had just gone through a huge experience to eliminate off my property.

The barn does have signs for biosecurity but they have future breeding stock in with these birds in the garage setting. I worry now that I've read that they had the biggest puppy mill in Canada, that the biosecurity signs on the barn are to keep people from seeing what the true conditions are that the birds in the barn are living in. It saddens me that I supported these people when they don't care for the animals or treat them with decency and that I'm stuck all over again, with an infected flock after choosing to trust them.

So many unsuspected people that have gotten birds off them probably have no idea they are living with infected birds and are spreading it even further.

Did you find reputable breeders in Canada ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by