DC Heritage Poultry - has anyone used this breeder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Thiriel, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Thiriel

Thiriel Just Hatched

I was wondering if anyone has ever used this breeder for their chickens? I've never heard of this place before,but I want to give them a try because they have the breeds I want and they can fly the chicks to my local airport or possible mail them via Canada Post - which is great because it means I wont have to order from the states (I'm in Canada), drive an hour or two down to some place in Maine I've never been to, then drive back, get through the border and hope that I don't kill any chicks in the process.

The thing is I would like to hear from some people who have used this breeder, I want to know if there have been any issues, either with chick health, customer service, etc. I'm not looking to show or anything fancy, I just want healthy chickens that I can feed to my family and friends, even if it means that I have to go through all the steps listed above.

2. PeacockJoJo

PeacockJoJo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    DO NOT use this breeder. We made the mistake of several orders from there. Many of their breeds were clearly inbred, and failed to thrive. I have 2 year old cream legbar roosters that are only slightly larger than seramas. Very low hatch rate as well. Afterwards, I learned that the owners also ran a puppy mill until it was shut down. They were able to do this due to the lack of animal cruelty laws. The information I have is from research, personal experience, and from American Poultry Association ACE program examiners and judges.

3. Thiriel

Thiriel Just Hatched

Thanks for the info, I was searching the forums and saw something about that but wasn't to sure if it was them or not.

This is exactly the reason why I want to do research like this at least one year before I commit. I don't want to give money to someone who cares about money more than quality and I don't want o end up broken hearted because I put time and effort into ill-bred chickens.

Are there any other breeders in Canada who ship that you would recommend? I heard Performance Poulty is good, but I want to make sure first....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by