DD hurt her back?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Feb 19, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    DD2 who is 6 years old fell the other day and landed hard on her tailbone. I was scared when she did it, but she seemed fine for several days. Then she started complaining that her back hurt and she had shooting pains down her leg. [​IMG]

She's 6! She has no idea what that means so I know it must have hurt. So we saw the pediatrician today who sent us for an ortho consult. I have been on the phone all day trying to get an appointment and square away the referrals and the insurance. [​IMG]

The doc they recommended wold not see her for over a MONTH! So I found another who will see her Monday and now the insurance company is balking at this doctor..... [​IMG]

She seems OK for now. But, try telling a 6 year old, no running, no skipping, no jumping!! Keep her in your thoughts please! [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh poor little baby!...[​IMG] my thoughts are with her...

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I have a back injury...had tests done. The shooting pains down the leg suggest herniated disc...what I have.

She should have some anti-inflamatories and ibuprofen.

and of course rest.

Hope all goes well. Children bounce back much more quickly than adults.

me,
    g

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The suspicion is a broken tailbone.

The doc said since she is not complaining of alot of pain that we should not give her much pain meds because what pain she does feel stops her from doing too much.

If she complains alot I am giving her meds.....

She will be fine and then stop suddenly and wince. I am trying to convince her no, jumping, no skipping etc....

But, she's a kid. Maybe the doc is right she doesn't stop unless it hurts.

5. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    I hope it is just bruised! I did feel on my tailbone twice in my teens and never had it looked at. At 30, it hurts more often but x-rays showed nothing was wrong. If it is broken, what will they do?

6. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

The suspicion is a broken tailbone.

The doc said since she is not complaining of alot of pain that we should not give her much pain meds because what pain she does feel stops her from doing too much.

If she complains alot I am giving her meds.....

She will be fine and then stop suddenly and wince. I am trying to convince her no, jumping, no skipping etc....

But, she's a kid. Maybe the doc is right she doesn't stop unless it hurts.

This can be painful, very painful, but it is likely she has really banged the nerves and that accounts for the pains running down her legs.

You have done all the right things and yes anti inflammatories will help, but it is good that she will be checked fo sure asap.

because of the position of the tailbones it is usually a case of they will heal on their own, and rest is most important.

I really hope it is just a bump and some jangled nerves for her, but it will mend eventually. Just takes some time and very frustrating for a 6 year old.

Bless her, and good luck with the Doctors.

Jena.​

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:Truthfully, there is not much thery can do, as long as the bone is just fractured and is not displaced. The concern is that she was fine for several days and THEN started having pain. She could have fractured it and then dislodged it. If that is the case she may need to have it pinned in place.

Karma is a B**** I broke my tailbone when I was carrying her! I was hugely preggers carrying the two year old when she suddenly grabbed the railing! It threw me off balance and I sat down hard. You know you're falling and you're trying to protect the baby and the belly! I fractured my tail bone in two places. It didn't displace until I was in labor - whoo what fun!

8. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    no run-jump-and play?????
    Your gonna need lots of duct tape.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Don't wait Sharon!!...

I fell down the stairs over five years ago...crushed my tail bone, impacted several discs in the spine... hairline fracture of the hip...face looked like I had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson...could not sit or drive for 8 weeks!.........get that child to the ER there might be things going on (like me!) that you can't see. Took me a year to get over it.......do it Sharon....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by