DD washing black birds for a show, does it mess up the green sheen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lceh, Nov 12, 2010.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    DD is going to be entering her bantam Ameraucanas in her first show next week. In the past we've always bathed her showmanship birds (who also happened to be white) on Thursday for a show on Saturday. I know she needs to wash her two wheatens, but she's also entering two blacks. If she bathes the blacks, will it mess up the green sheen on their feathers by stripping oils or something? I don't want her to make a dumb newbie mistake, she's so excited about the show, but I haven't a clue about this one.

2. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Washing black birds won't mess up the green sheen. Just be sure to wash them about a week before the show. Washing does remove the some of the oils, so by the time of the show, the oils will be back.

We just wipe the birds with baby wipes when we coop them. We also lightly spray them with "Pink" sheen spray. It will bring out the green sheen of their feathers, and they smell really good!

Good luck!!

Angie

3. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Thanks for the help. Is it a complete no-no to not wash the black birds at all, except their feet and faces? These gals are kept on fresh grass and we have no parasite problems. They look so pretty and shiny now I'm not sure how it would improve their appearance for a show. Just curious, we're new to this!

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I very rarely wash for show. I have shown Ameraucanas for a year now and haven't wash one and have won several big awards. You really only wash cochins and silkies. (this is a generalization not a fact.) Those are the breeder you hear about bathing birds alot. I keep my Ameraucana on dirt in a covered run. I have a 8' wide by 16' long pen divided in half so they live in 8'x8' pens with a dog house. They have a tarp over them. I don't really "condition" either. Ameraucanas are really easy to show, but I feel hard to perfect in some aspects.

Washing has nothing to do with color. If you washed them there shouldn't be any change in their sheen. The sheen reflects their genetics not their condition.

5. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] I have washed as late as 2 days prior but I wouldn't reccommend it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by