DD's ear infection and ear wax

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Jan 30, 2012.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    DD had tubes in her ears one time and came out early last year. Never had any problems with it nor had any ear infections. I know she is allergic to the cat but does OK as long she does not rub her face into the cat.

Ever since the tubes came out, she had nothing but ear infections and sinus infections. Would she needs to have tubes put back into her ears again or something she will have to outgrow it?

We kept putting meds and painkillers, it can only help so far. Sometimes it cleared up on its own and others, required an office visit.

Do you have any persisent problems?

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    DH and I both had ear infections as kids, him way more then me. His ear drums burst when he was 8-10 several times. I've very small ear canals. Sigh.... Well our second daughter seems to have inherited our problems she had severe ear infections as a baby, it was so awful. Any how we tried all kinds of things. Many visits to the doctor, antibiotics... Then we discovered on our own shes very allergic to milk. So was my husband as a kid. As long as we keep her off milk shes ok. She seems to have my small ears and his milk allergy. It's a lot of work but shes much better now and hasn't had a really bad infection in years. If she accidently has some milk products I always can tell right away.
    I hope you can get relief for your daughter. ear infections are so horrible I still get them from time to time.

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

My cousin had ear infections pretty bad. He had tubes put in a few different times and 1 surgery to try and help. He battled it from the time he was born till 4 or 5 and then it started to stop as he got older. He is now 13 and has not had a problem in a couple of years. Time will tell what helps her or not. Plus finding out if she has food allergies like mentioned would be a good idea.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    She doesn't have milk allergies because she can eat cereal with milk or chocolate milk without any ill effects.

Don't know if red food dye is an issue. I know when she drinks fruit punch drinks at school, she would have sudden diarrhea so I can not pin point exactly for sure but a hunch.

Not sure if her ADD medications could be the issue either.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    You need to find out if it's a physical issue with her facial structure or an allergic issue from a food or germs. And yes it may be a combination. Out of my 5 kids, the two blondes had the severe problems. They were alike medically but boy/girl. Looke dlike their dad... who I found out also had bad ear/throat problems. Doc said it was facial structure where the Eustacian tube was placed during youth. You can't change that!
    Then you have the allergy thing. DD was tested by allergist. No allergies, but still the sinus, swelling/ear clogging etc etc. ending up with asthma. They now call it Reactive Airways Disease. In plain English: you start to get a cold, sinuses start dripping a wee bit, most of us deal with it and go on,blowing nose etc. Child with RAD drips post nasal slightly down throat and it irritates lungs. Even a minor bit causes asthmatic cough. Solution? Treat the most minor sniffle with decongestants. Keep them up even after the drippy nose stops. You want to not only stop the srip, you want to stop inflammation in the eustation tube and let it drain. That draining may take days/weeks.
    Clues: if DD complains her ear is stuffy-- sounds are muffled-- her ear *pops* and *crackles* , give decongestant. If within 20 minutes she says ears *clear* or begin to *pop*, keep her on decongestant for days or at least a week. Mine were on it a month at a time. Teach them to recognize the symptoms early. Treat early before it gets full blown.
    Both mine ended up with tonsilectomies ages 4-6 and that cleared them up. DD who never had problems with this ended up with tonsilectomy & sinus surgery in her 20s. Who'd knew? Again, facial structure has a lot to do with it. As adults, the two girls look like twins.
    One warning: was told that hearing was very important in the 12-18 month range for developmental reasons. Make sure child is being treated if there is ear problems during that period.
    And lastly, sometimes no matter what you do...:) DS had first ear infection at 3 weeks, tubes 3 times and ruptured eardrum for 2 years. Tonsilectomy at 4 1/2. He's fine as an adult. He has selective hearing-- if you know what i mean!
    Ear problems are a very frustrating, continuing problem for some children. You just do what you can and use the best doctors you can, but I truly believe in bad cases that continuous decongestant use helps prevent worse cases. Find the one that works for your child. They don't all work the same. Read labels. Read reports. Discuss with doctors and know your own child.
    Also, for about $50 you can buy an otoscope and monitor your child's ears. Bought my DD one for her kids about 5 years ago. She took it to her pediatrician, who showed her what to look for. Worked well for her!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    She had her tonsils removed when she was around three years old.

Today she is complaining of drainage, sounded like she got a hoarse voice/stuffy nose so I gave her Claritin last night and tonight. When she gets up, she feels better. By evening, she is back having the sniffles. When she got back from school she had a bit of a dry cough.

I've been hanging wet bedsheets to dry on the indoor clothesline to humidify the house a bit. She said she felt like she was gagged by the moisture.

7. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Children's mucinex is what I give my daughter. I was told by one of her Dr's that an expectorant is better then a decongestant. It seems to help her a lot and I give it to her during colds. As long as she stays off of milk though I don't have to give her anything.
    My ears have always popped and cracked. I just live with it...sigh

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Best bet is a consultation with her doctor where you explore all the options for her specifically. She may need some tests to determine whether she has allergies (not all allergies react rapidly or as one might expect; this is particularly applicable to food allergies--they do not necessarily cause digestive upset--can cause the same kinds of symptoms as you expect from airborne allergans.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Could be allergies of any kid...food,dust,mold. The allergies would lead to swelling in the ears,and the swelling would prevent proper fluid drain...and there you go ear infection from bacteria in the fluid backup. Happened a few times to my dd.Thankfully nothing while very little. I did read a bunch of books on ear infections when the kids were babies,because I read ear infections were very common. Thankfully we did not have to deal with them till they were older.We got a lot of dust/mold issues now.

I had this Zand book and found the alternatve/allopathic recommendations to be useful.I hope you find a doctor who can help pinpoint the causes that lead up to the infections.

I gave a link to all the articles she has online,but her book has way more.Smart Medicine for a Healithier Child:
    http://www.healthy.net/Author/Janet_Zand_LAc_OMD/623

Speedy healings!

My friend with 7 kids had some needing tubes for fluid drain.Over time the tubes were not needed.Either the cause of the swelling was avoided,or their body was able to get used to the thing that caused allergic reations. They always had pets too

10. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho

sounds good... :)

To the OP, allergies run in families so if any of your siblings or parents have allergys its very possible those could also be your daughters.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by