DD's First Report Card of the year is here....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Cetawin, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well Cheyenne's first report card is here for middle school.

She has been grounded for the last three weeks for her progress report showing a D- in Language Arts...which was always her best subject. she struggled in Math horribly and even took a Math Lab as an elective to try to help her with her Math.

So, her report just came and thess are her final grades for the first trimester

Math B
    Math Lab B
    Science A
    Language Arts B+
    Social Studies B+
    PE A

So we are going to make her sweat a little and the conversation when she gets home is going to go somewhat like this....

Dad and I: so, your report card arrives and we are both shocked! Now we are trying to decide what to do with you.

we will let her start to get nervous and possibly even try to explain...LOL

Dad and I: We never set our expectations too high and are having a hard time with this report card...we just are not sure what to do...what do you think we should do with you about this?

Our Roomie/Mike: I think the grades she brought home should not go unnoticed....we need to take her out to dinner!

I am so proud of her...and it will be a relief to me to take her off grounding and get her out of the house again. [​IMG] She was beginning to become annoying. hahahahahaha

so, I wanted to brag a little.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Dad and I: so, your report card arrives and we are both shocked! Now we are trying to decide what to do with you.

we will let her start to get nervous and possibly even try to explain...LOL

Dad and I: We never set our expectations too high and are having a hard time with this report card...we just are not sure what to do...what do you think we should do with you about this? Look at this and you tell me. (hand her the card)

Pause for a moment and then say.........I am thinking maybe (favorite restaraunt) what would you like to choose? Then hug her and tell her how proud of her you are. And also tell her that Grounding is canceled immedately!!!

That is an awesome accomplishment to go from a D- to a B+ that is HARD WORK to bring up a grade 2 grade levels. That is the bottom of the D scale to the top of the B scale . Almost 3 letter grades really.

I don't totally agree with Mike, the grades need to be noticed and praised, but you DO need to take her out to dinner.

Tell her congrats. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  3. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    I can totally relate to your post. My dd is in her 1st year of middle school as well and when grades came home a few weeks ago, I cried. They were all A's and B's. It hasn't been easy. All we had to say is "your report card came in the mail today" and her face dropped, then she smiled a huge smile when she saw it.

When I asked her what she thought we should do as a reward...I'm thinking she's going to say a trip to Hawaii or something...she says "how about a family movie night tonight?" Wow, that's easy!

Math has always been a tough subject for her, and she got a B in it! We've had her in several math tutoring programs for the last three years.

Maybe all those hours and hours of work are finally paying off. Isn't it cool to see kids maturing and taking responsibility at this age? Let's keep our fingers crossed for continued successes!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You're being nice! I brought home a report card once with one A-. Just one, the entire year... I got a "what happened?"

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Well??? what did happen??!!

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Ha ha ha, that sounds like mine. I was your typical nerd (still am, really), though I was the kind of nerd who also played a ton of sports and took showers every day. [​IMG]

I know how hard it is for some students to get good grades, especially with all the distractions and other influences they have at school from various friends, etc.

A victory for your child is also a victory for you as a parent. The most successful kids are usually the ones with family support behind them. If I could take you guys out to dinner myself, I would. [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:I hear ya. I would have asked the teacher "What the heck happened?" "What did I miss" and "Recalculate that I know it is an A or better"

[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So you all celebrate with dinner and an "ungrounding party"? [​IMG]

Good grades or bad relative to the others, as long as your involved, that's 99% of the motivation!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Well thank you...I shall pass that on to her. She has decided to go out tomorrow night so she can stay up later. She has chosen Carlos' which is a wonderful mexican restaurant.

In Nov. I took her to a concert of the Jefferson Baroque Orchestra where they did a salute to Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688-1758). She loved it. So,
    I also bought tickets to her favorite orchestra's concert entitled "A European Christmas Celevration" for Saturday night.

I bought five tickets and told her to choose three of her friends that she would like to take with her and introduce them to some of music of the 18th century. So far, she has found no one, her age, who wishes to go with us so she has invited two of my friends who she likes very much and we are having a "Girls Night Out". hehehehehe

Here is there concert info and you can read about Saturday's concert

Jefferson Baroque Orchestra

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh I almost forgot to tell you what happened when she got home and how it went down, as they say.

she comes walking up and DH, our Roomie and a friend were on the front porch and Dad says to her...

Hey Chy...Your report card arrived today and I well...frankly I do not know what to say

Her: Dad? I got an F didn't I?

Go inside and see your mother...she is waiting.

Her: "Oh crap" (That one killed me...LOL)

She walks into the house slowly and says

"Mom, I want to explain something to you."

I just looked at her and nodded and she says...

"Mom, I really tried my hardest to bring my grades up, especially Language Arts. I asked the teacher for extra work to help bring my grade up and I did my very best on the extra work too. Mom, I even skipped lunch a couple of times to go to the library and work on the papers...so I am really sorry but I tried my best"

well...that about killed me and the tears were about to fall and I said...

"Well, I just do not know what to do about you. I am shocked. I expected you to do your best but"

I walked her outside and handed her report card to our friend and said "Bear, if your son brought home these grades, what would you do?"

Our Roomie and he looked at the report card and he said "I would take him to dinner wherever he wanted to go" Mike said "Yup dinner is in order"

Cheyenne looked at them, looked at me so confused and they handed her repotr card and I said...

"I am so proud of you and I know you worked really hard for those grades, so you pick the time and place of your dinner out"

She called her grandparents, both sets, her brother, her aunt and everyone she knew to tell them about her report card.

She later said "Mom, I really tried my very best. Thanks for being so cool."

I had not thought of myself as cool but whatever...as long as she continues to do her best and seek help when she needs it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by