DD's soon to be ex wants to sign over rights, ?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by key west chick, Aug 5, 2011.

  1. key west chick

    key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    So DD is in the process of divorcing a loser. He wants to sign over his rights to their 4 month old child so he doesnt have to pay child support. They were married at the time of babys birth and his name is on the birth certificate. He just doesnt want to pay anything. Can he do this? We have a great attorney working on their divorce and he has promised us that he will try to get every penny from this deadbeat he can get us. So does signing away rights give him a get-out-child support free card?
  2. DuckLady

    DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

    Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    What does her lawyer say? He would know more than we would.
  3. key west chick

    key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    We havent talked to the attorney yet. DD just found out a few minutes ago when ex sent her a text message.
  4. saddina

    saddina Internally Deranged

    May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Nope, can't, the state has to look out for the best interests of the child... He can sign that he doesn't require visitation etc, but he can't get out of support payments. (Disclaimer, not a lawyer, I worked with alot of "in need" and "at risk" child programs, I've also had men who offered to sign off on visitation if the mother gave them XX amount of cash, also fround upon, as selling a child.
  5. saddina

    saddina Internally Deranged

    May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Let him sign off, then she can file for support, it's legally hers, and he doesn't seem concerned for the child's welfare anyways,

    Disclaimer, this can be conteseted, but all that means is a blood test, or a dna swab to confirm the child is genetically his.
  6. key west chick

    key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I kinda figured that. Well, I was hoping anyway. Sad thing is, and the attorney and she talked about it, hes a low life and she will probably never see a penny. But the attorney said back child support will haunt him where ever he goes.
  7. I have WHAT in my yard?

    I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Pretty much get him to sign them! He cannot dodge the responsibility even though he probably will. Like was said. get him to sign over rights, let the state pursue him to repay them for welfare. Don't expect any money.
  8. mamawolf544

    mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

    Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    In Texas it is not allowed to sign away rights not to pay child support except in certain cases.
    Texas Judges do not think the tax payer should pay support for a child.
    Sometimes they will let the person sign away rights but they still have to pay support.
    My DD has full custody of my GD because her ex wrote her letters that he wanted nothing to do with her, blah...blah...blah. So my 2 yr old GD at the time's lawyer had him sign away rights and changed her last name to my DD's maiden name.
    But I think my ex SIL knew exactly what he was doing so he would not have to pay.
  9. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Pretty sure that to sign away the rights #1, the other parent must agree, and #2, adoption by another parent might be required.

    So, if a few years down the road your DS meets a great guy who wants to marry her and adopt her child, this is a circumstance where it is likely that the biological father would be able to sign over his rights. Different states with have different specifics. But in general, one parent deciding to sign over the parenting rights does not mean that parent is no longer responsible for the cost of raising the child.
  10. key west chick

    key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Well, hes in for a rude awakening when he finds out even if he did manage to terminate his rights, he would still be accountable for child support, and thats what he is trying to get out of. He already has 2 other children he doesnt support, but then again, he was never married to any of the other moms and no one else has taken him to court.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by