DE and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Mar 4, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    It's safe to sprinkle a little DE in the brooder isn't it? May be a dumb question, but wanted to ask before I did it.

Angie

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I read something here last week about "deep litter method" that said DE was wonderful but it must be food grade. Good luck!

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    perfectly safe, yes. (am assuming you have food grade DE)

4. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    Stupid question.... where do you get DE and what exactly does it do?? (I think I read the it helps reduce risk of parasites- mites??)

5. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I got mine from a grainery. It was difficult to find the food grade so i called the farm store where I buy the chick food...they called their grainery and arranged for me to pick up a bag. I think they thought I was nuts but other than this site, they have been my best source of information. Of course, it helps that they also raise chickens [​IMG]

I'm not sure what it does other than helps with parasites.

6. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I use it in my coop and horse stalls to keep the smell down. I've had virtually NO smell in my chicken coop with my hens last year... and very little in my horse stalls.

Yes, I use food grade, I was able to find some locally, I only have to drive 20 minutes to get the 50 lb bags (Perma Guard). I found them by doing a search online for food grade DE, found this brand, then did a search for local dealers in my area. I've read of people here having it shipped to them...but I'll bet that's quite spendy.

Thanks for the answers, I have not used any with my chicks yet, as I wasn't sure when I could start using it with them. I will be cleaning the shavings in the brooder this weekend, so I'll add the DE this time around! Thank you!

Angie

7. Tricia's Triple Z

Tricia's Triple Z Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2007
    Heck I dont even know what DE stands for or what it is?

8. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    diatomaceous earth

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Tricia's Triple Z :

Heck I dont even know what DE stands for or what it is?

From wikipedia:
    Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.

Whenever I turn the shavings in my coop I sprinkle a thin layer of it over the the shavings before turning. I also dust the roosts and nest boxes with it.
    Some people use it as a preventive (though not a cure) for worms. You want to be sure that you only use food grade DE around your chickens and other animals.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by