DE and Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kybeagle, May 28, 2010.

1. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Since I am a newbie at this, I need a little information. I have 21 chicks that are 3 weeks old and was wondering what age I should start adding DE to their starter; or if I should at all? At this time I am putting 2 teaspoons of ACV in a quart of water and giving them a starter from Purina, that is all that they have had. I've heard that the DE will help in keeping worms out of the chicks or chickens but I don't have any idea when I should start giving it to them.

2. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I have read that some people mix DE with their feed. I never have. I occasionally sprinkle some in the coop on top of the pine shavings and in the nest boxes. In fact I am going to clean out the old straw in the nest boxes tomorrow and put in some fresh straw. I will sprinkle this with DE.

I did not start using DE until the chicks were about 20 weeks old. I have not used it in the new chick coop and probably won't until they are at least 16 - 18 weeks old. I don't know if there is harm in using it around young chicks but I decided not to just to be sure.

Be very careful that you use feed grade DE. If it does not feed grade on the bag then DON't buy it. Much of the DE on the market is pool grade instead of feed grade. The pool grade is very dangerous to the birds and humans. You can find lots of information about it here on BYC.

3. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks for the reply "felidaet", the DE which I have is food grade and like you, I will probably hold off using it until the chicks are older.

4. Mcfarlinschicks

Mcfarlinschicks New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Tonto Basin, Arizona
    Was reading your posts and im curious, what is DE and what is ACV???? Im very new to this and am wondering if I should be using both of these? [​IMG]

5. lottastuff9

lottastuff9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    ACV=Apple Cider Vinegar and DE=Diatomaceous Earth

Edit to add:

It is up to you if you use these products. ACV is said to be good for the digestive tract. DE is said to be good for several things but externally it is like walking on razors for little mites and fleas, thus it controls bug population on your flock and around your flock. I haven't done extensive research but from what little I have done it also helps control internal parasites also. Hopefully someone with vast knowledge chimes in. IMO, I would use ACV as soon as you wish and use the DE when chicks are a smite older. HTH

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. Mcfarlinschicks

Mcfarlinschicks New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Tonto Basin, Arizona
    Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I actually put apple cider vinegar in the dogs water, guess I just wasnt paying attention of the abbreviations! [​IMG] thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by