DE and earthworms in my compost?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PhilErvin, Jun 26, 2010.

1. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I purchased 50lbs. of Food Grade DE at my local feed store for $23.00 plus tax. I am sprinkling it on my coop floor then covering the floor with a bit of straw. When I clean this up in a week and put this soiled straw in my compost heap I was wondering if the DE will kill my beneficial earthworms and redworms in the compost?
    If so I may need to rethink usinging the DE on the coop floor. I'm only using it here as a precaution.

2. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question...didn't even think of that. One of the reasons I got hubby's approval for chickens was for their poo in the compost. If I'm ruining his compost and red wigglers because of DE, I'm in big trouble!!!

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    "Diatomaceous Earth will not harm warm-blooded animals or earthworms. Earthworm farmers use it to treat their worm beds for parasites, fungus gnat larva etc. Earth worms are structurally different from insects in that they can actually digest particles of DE. The particles are then eliminated in their castings."

This interesting quote came from the following link.
    http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:GREAT information, Thank You [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by