DE and flea powder

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovedog, Apr 28, 2009.

1. lovedog

lovedog New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    Hello, do I need to use a flea powder on my chickens and DE around the coop? We have a chicken tractor, so I would only be able to use the DE inside the tractor. Why do I need both? Can I put DE on the chickens?
    Thanks

2. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    You don't need both, DE will kill fleas. You can put some in their food and where they dust at. I just ordered 100 lbs and I'm going to use the grass-fertilizer spreader to "spray" it out over just about everything. Just make sure you get the FOOD GRADE kind not the kind for pool filters!!! The latter will poison your chickens and could poison you too. The food grade kind however isn't altered and can be used topically, ingested, and used all over. Some people even take it everyday.

3. ysandoz

ysandoz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I know that this is probably a dumb question, but what is DE?

4. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    diatomaceous earth...although the food grade is also known as fossil shell flour. Check out earthworkshealth.com
    ( i think thats the sight I used?!) [​IMG]

5. ysandoz

Mar 22, 2009
    Can I get this in town at a Fred Meyer, Walmart, Bi-Mart, feed store, or do I have to order it online?
    Thanks ahead of time for your help!!!
    Yvette

6. ysandoz

Mar 22, 2009
    I forgot to ask if this is only good for fleas, or is it good for other things, lice, mites,etc?

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I doubt you can get it at those large stores, at least not the food grade type. Check with the local feed stores. I had to call 6 local stores to find one that carried it. TSC didn't even have it and the one store that I'm getting it from doesn't carry it in stock anymore, they had to special order it. There are many resources online, but it's much easier IMHO to make a few phone calls to get it local before you go to the trouble (and expense) of ordering online.

8. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    yes I searched for WEEKS around my area to find it, and found nothing but the NONfoodgrade and then I FINALLY called agway and asked them if they had it (keep in mind the agway is over an hr from my house) and they said no they had to special order it, and it takes about 2 weeks to come in...at that point after finding it NOWHERE else, I did my research online and decided to get it that way. That part that stinks is the shipping, but that site is pretty reasonable, and I figure till I order it and and drive the hour from my house, AND WAIT, it'll probably be about the same anyway. Plus with them it comes in nice plastic containers you can use for other things or even mix their feed in!

9. ysandoz

Mar 22, 2009
    Is this good only for lice or does it help with mites too? Also, After talking with my hubby last night, he said that he has had some in the shop for years that he used to use for the cows to keep flys down, but does anyone know if this can go bad???? I don't want to feed it if it can go bad. Thanks.

10. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    here is some information on Diatomaceous Earth

ADVANTAGES OF DIATOMACEOUS EARTH WITH FARM ANIMALS

1. No toxins-desirable for safety (DE is fossil shell skelotons of fresh water sources)

2. Effective in Control of internal and external parasites (sprinkled on body and nest and all sleeping areas prevents mites, fleas, etc.)
    ( always use a mask when using DE for precaution to your lungs)(DE is only effective against soft shelled bodies)

3. Mixed with feed(use 2% of total feed given for a day of DE) it constantly attacks parasites. Keeps bugs out of feed. Terminates worms
    ( only kills soft skined parasites)daily inside animals stomach as they eat food treated with DE. ( the De fossils knick the soft skined parasites and they die of dehydtation then)

4. Better( the De fossils knick the soft skined parasites and they die of dehydtation then) feed conversion 5 Less presence of odor & dryer droppings making for easier clean up

6. Flies and larva are killed by DE left in the manure This is so the flies don't lay eggs

7. Easy to feed (2% of amt of feed use that amt of DE)

8. Decreased mortality in birds and animals eating DE

9. Can be used as a dust for external parasites

10. Calcium provided for egg production, may increase number of eggs laid

11. Trace elements for cell growth and bone development

12. May halt cannibalism in some cases

13. Eliminates worms and flies in feed bins resulting in less waste of feed.

14. Provides calcium and trace minerals for bones, feathers, hair, fur, and body Animals and Fowl and Poultry ingesting DE have
    better quality fur, hair, and feathers.

15. In cattle- increased milk production and promotes higher butter fat content

16. In cattle- decreased mastitis

17. In food animals and dairy cattle- no withdrawal prior to use of products, immediate onsummation of eggs and meat and milk, no waiting period.

18. Parasites and insects cannot build up resistence

19. Cost - for meat and milk animals it can be free to use considering 4, 8, & 13

20. Proven to be Less expensive than chemicals because DE prevents sick animals due to worms, #13 veres veterinary bills,lower feed bills due to #13.

In some cases less feed is consumed because of the anti-caking properties of DE allowing more surface area of food to be utilized for nutrients

Adding DE promotes health for your animals and birds every day as it is used..

Humans injest DE every time they bush their teeth, as DE is the cutting edge in tooth aste

For more information you can email me PM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by