DE and rain

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by alabama girl, Aug 24, 2008.

1. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    I finally have my DE ready to spread, but it is raining these days here in Alabama. My question is that if I spread DE every where, and it rains, will it still work, does it stay effective even after? Also hopw long does it take to kill the ants?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Exactly where are you planning on spreading it? It is waterproof, as it is just ground up fossilized shells, but I would recommend you using caution in spreading it around, just for the good insects sake. I use it inside my coop as well as inside my house whenever I see a line of ants marching through. I lightly sprinkle the line of ants and in an hour or twos time there aren't anymore of them. I leave it on that area for a few days though to make sure they don't come back!

3. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    I appreciate your response, I plan to spread it inside and outside my coop, in and around the run and most definitely around the perimeter of the house.
    You are so right, I didn't even think of fossils being water proof. I guess I need to read about it more.

4. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    The loss of dust in the rain makes it a little less effective, but effective none the less!

5. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    DE works best when dry, you may also look into spraying benificial nematodes in wet/moist areas. they will help eliminate many pests. you can get them from many garden centers or nurseries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by