DE and worming...de-worming...WHEN, and HOW?

keeko

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Asheville, NC
Hey everyone!

My chicks are nearly 3 months old now, and I'm thinking it's time to worm them. Or de-worm them. Same thing right? They've been outside now for just about a month...in a tractor, and then in their stationary coop and run (with sand in the run). But I've seen earthworms in our soil, so I'm sure they've come in contact with them.

My question is: how do I de-worm using DE? I have heard that I can put it in their food, is that true? Does consuming it prevent worms for them?

(Just to be clear, my pullets haven't shown any signs of worms...I'm just trying PREVENT worms.)

If I use DE to prevent worms, do I give it to them all year long? Can I eat their eggs when they're eating DE?

Thanks guys!

The instructions I have for using DE as a preventative are to use 2% per 50 lbs. of feed. If my math is correct that's one pound of DE per 50 lbs. of feed. Just mix it in with the feed and feed year-round.
It must be food grade DE, there are several forms out there for sale.
You can eat the eggs no problem. You can eat DE yourself if you want to, but I won't go that far.
DE should be considered a prophylatic treatment only. If later on down the road you see actual worms in their stools, then you'll need to switch to the big guns, i.e., chemical wormers.
BTW, Asheville is my hometown.
smile.png

Last edited:
DE, used internally, does nothing except add some trace minerals to a chicken's diet. It does not prevent or treat worms. DE must be dry to work its magic and the inside of a chicken is not dry. Sorry. I used to use it myself and then discovered I was wasting my money doing so.

OH NO!! How is this not more commonly known? I feel like I'm always hearing that DE is a great worm preventative.

I also sprinkle DE in my run, which has sand...so does this mean, when it rains, that the DE is ineffective for mites, flies and fleas?

YIKES. So what else is a natural de-wormer, or a worm preventative? Is there any?

Quote:
Really, it's logic. When wet, DE loses cutting ability. Yes, it kills bugs so you can sprinkle it in the nests, under the roost and dust the birds themselves with it. If birds have worms, you'd need a chemical wormer, but most birds can handle a small worm load with no problem. Chopped unsalted pumpkin seeds and buttermilk are natural preventatives. Curcurbit in the seeds paralyzes the worms so they can be expelled and the buttermilk changes the pH environment in the intestines (I think, not 100% sure what it does, but they love it). I make oatmeal, add the chopped pumpkin seed and buttermilk to it, sometimes add cayenne pepper as well, for preventative measures. If they get worms in spite of it, say after a heavy rainy period, I use Safeguard or Invermectin to worm, but has only occurred three or four of times over the last four-and-a-half year period.

I did not worm my flock until they were two years old, which is the first time I saw a worm in someone's poop. Three month olds probably don't need worming.

Thanks Cynthia!
I'll try the pumpkin seeds and buttermilk. The only reason I consider giving them some sort of worm preventative now is that they've been outside for close to a month, and there are many worms in our soil. They "free range" in a chicken tractor, as well as have a run where I've found earthworms. I know that earthworms can carry parasites, etc. so I'm just trying to cover my bases. In case I didn't mention, I'm totally new to this chicken thing
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom