DE as a wormer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by antiquebuff, Jun 9, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I use DE on a regular basis and would like to know if I still need to use a wormer. I never have and I have healthy chicks but if I need to worm with something else I will and what is recommended. Thanks for your help!

2. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    From all the information I have researched, if your mixing some DE with the food, it should take care of any worm problems. Now if you just sprinkle the DE on the floor of the coop, I doubt this would help, although it should alleviate any mite problems.

3. ChickenPat

ChickenPat Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    May I ask what is 'DE"?

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
  5. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    most people don't worm unless there is specific reason - wormers can be somewhat hard on a chicken, and (the big thing) it is really not well known what the TRULY safe withdrawal time is for eating eggs after worming. (best answer: Quite Some While).

Some people feel DE, regularly added to feed (not just dusted 'round the coop or on the outside of the birds), prevents or minimizes worms. Maybe, maybe not. People do NOT generally claim that it's good for treating an existing worm load, however.

Good luck,

Pat

7. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Quote:If you will check the above site and look under "All DE is not the same" you will find that it is indeed used as a primary wormer. It may take a little longer to work but by continually feeding it in grain it virtually eliminates the added costs of wormers.

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by