De- Beaking?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sheps4her, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    What exactly is De beaking? (I have an idea of what it is, but want to make sure i am correct in my assumptions) What is the purpose of De-beaking and is it really necessary? [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They cut off part of the top beak. No, it is not necessary to mutilate a chicken that way. Commercial operations do it because they cram birds together in tiny spaces and if they didn't, the birds would peck each other to death, probably. It's convenience for the owners. If they are truly debeaked, it will not grow back, as opposed to clipping a tiny tip of the beak off.

3. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Thanks. [​IMG] That is what I thought it was. It was the why part that I was trying to understand. Thats a shame. [​IMG]

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone know if Meyers clips or actually de-beaks? Their started pullets are on the website as "beaks trimmed."

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

All hatchery "trims" are debeaks with a machine that just burns off the tips and cauterizes at the same time.

6. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    A friend of mine ordered some pullets from McMurrays and when they cane, one was clipped back almost to the nostrils! She complained and the woman said that they shouldn't have been "trimmed" so drastically, but she said when they ship pullets they had to cut them back "a little". It is a disturbing practice. She has had them for about 3 months and it is growing back but you can still see that it is not quite right.

7. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    *edited to remove activist link*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  8. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    oh my...how sad! Those hens can barely move! And that poor hen with her beak burned off.....breaks my heart![​IMG]
    If I had known I would have changed my buying habits a long time ago!

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

No Meyers started pullets for me, then.

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I think de-beaking is an inhumane and unneccessary practice. The only reason it is used is to keep chickens from pecking eachother when confined in spaces too small for them.

*edited to remove activist link*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by