"de-beeking" to stop picking

Dr.Doorlock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Garland, Texas
Getting more space and more time without light has not stopped the pecking or picking. "No Peck" did little good. I even observe them picking at themselves.. One of them looks pretty bad - his elbows are bare.

Today, a vet friend suggested "de-beeking". No, you do not REMOVE the beek. You simply use the Dremel and a sanding drum (just like we use on our dogs' nails) to grind down only the sharp point. He says it does not harm them and it would be an absolute end to the problem.

What do you think?

i have seen people do it, but its cause of overcrowding/ stress do they have enough space? mites? Are they high stress birds? huh...
idunno.gif

well...all i can tell you is, it is a personal choice..BUT i can tell you that a birds beak is THE MOST sensitive part on its body...honest!!....full of nerve endings..(their beaks are like their finger tips....)..i personally would never do it...i saw what happend to my parrot when he dive bombed off his cage and landed beak first on the tile floor....it was not pretty....and i KNOW it REALLY hurt him...i'd cull my bird before i did that....honest....cull them quick..it will hurt less....*i'm not being fresh either*..best of luck to you!, Wendy

Have you tried to increas protein ? Canned cat food,cottage cheese,yogurt.
I make my own yogurt really cheep in my crock pot. I feed it to them 2 times aweek in there mash. Pecking stopped after a couple of weeks of increasing protein.
I don't know about filing down beaks. Do they grow back like a dogs nails ? How would that effect how they eat ? Seems like they would have to scoop food instead of picking it up with beak.

I guess I would do it as a last resort to stop them as they will become cannibalistic. Have they drawn blood ?

I use clippers to cut mine i just clip the beak to the quick. Be careful if you do this not to cut into the quick or they will bleed.

I think clipping would be quicker than the dremel tool that might take a while.

Have you tried Pine Tar i use that for picking and it's always worked.
I just smear it on the pecked birds it totally turns off the pickers.
I mean would you want to stick your beak in that sticky stuff.
sickbyc.gif

The beak will grow back and it may need clipping again and it won't effect them eating. Some people think they pick because lack of protein i've found that not to be true.

Quote:
No..he means de-beaking..where they remove half of the beak...almost to the face...*almost*...its differant than regular beak trimming....*if i am understanding you correctly*
smile.png

Quote:
ooh i must be confused *as usual*....sorry.
wink.png
.....because the actual De-beaking is where they remove most of the beak..and just leave enough to grab at food.....i saw some this weekend at the poultry show...
sad.png

Quote:
i saw it this weekend..and it made my stomach....
10638_puke.gif
...only because i knew how much it hurt the bird.....but..again....i dont wanna get on the OP..its a personal choice....and i respect that..and he is trying to help his birds so....
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom