DE Clarification

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kesali, May 17, 2011.

1. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Two clerks at TSC had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about food grade diatomaceous earth. About two weeks later, I was in a Farm and Fleet and saw food grade diatomaceous earth powder. It looked like very finely ground brown dirt. Not being sure about the "powder" part, I left it. Would the powder have worked for the chickens or do I need to keep searching for just food grade diatomaceous earth? Since diatoms tend to be white, I guess I was expecting a very light colored, even white, substance, like what is used in diatom filters for aquariums.

2. Annie84

Annie84 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Columbus, MN
    it is typically sold as a powder and can be from an off-white to grey, usually

3. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    The DE I bought from Hoeggers goat farm was white, but some recent food grade (or at least they said it was) was brownish grey. In addition to using it in the coops I found that it is good for getting rid of ants. They really don't like it and just go away (or die) I can't tell which

4. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Thanks much, I will get the DE powder. Regarding getting rid of ants, corn meal also works great! Sprinkle it around where the ants are and they think it is food. They bring into the ant hill and they eat it, but cannot digest it and die. Takes about a week, but they will all be dead! It is not only effective, but it is not poisonous or hazardous to anything (except the ants).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by