de-crowing a Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shugaskull, Nov 21, 2011.

1. shugaskull

shugaskull Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I am looking for scientific data on different ways to De-crow a rooster. Please keep opinions to your self, I am strictly looking for facts, research, reference materials (i.e. books, articles, medical texts, etc.....). Thank you for your time.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

really? Can that be humanely done so if nothing else the crow is much quieter?

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    An axe and a soup pot. [​IMG]

I am sure there are surgical ways of removing the voice box. Attempting this at home would be cruel.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's an operation for a veterinarian only, nothing you can do at home, but finding one who knows what he's doing will be the challenge and probably very expensive. Many roosters don't live through it, I understand.

5. shugaskull

Nov 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I have been looking into several different methods: removing the voice box, cutting the vocal cords, augmenting syrnix (the flap of skin at the bottom of the trachea), cutting the tongue, and I heard tail of a way to make two small holes in the voice box "in lue" of removal.

You may think these methods are "cruel" but it allows the Roo to live a happy satisfying pain free existence out side of the stew pot.

6. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

the fact that you will have a hard time finding a vet to do this experimental procedure should speak volumes about whether or not you should do it.
    I bet if the rooster could decide his fate he would be more inclined to quickly get it over with ( Killed) versus having someone attempt a "google'd" surgical procedure on him that will most likely result in shock , infection , pain etc for longer amounts of time.
    If crowing bothers you or your neighbors than you should not own a rooster. its just that black and white!
    I have a dog who was debarked by some idiot puppymill ladys veterinarian and even after 6 years in my care he has many long term complications.

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

yup, figured that it inhumane would be the case but when the topic came up i thought it worth it to ask...

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  9. shugaskull

Nov 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I have known silenced roos in the past when I lived down in Louisiana. Its common practice down there. I'm having difficulty finding a vet here with a decent knowledge of bird anatomy, that I feel is component enough. This is not just a "google search" for a barbarian home job. That's why I am asking for scientific references, articles and texts.

10. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:are you sure the rooster will be "pain free"????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by