De-crowing a Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ihvpower, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Can a Rooster be de-crowed? I heard that if the bird is neutered that it will not crow...........is this true?? I have a gorgeous EE Rooster and I really love him and want to keep him but the neighbors do NOT love him.

Help!

Nancy

2. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have no clue but am curious. I can give you a bump. Maybe we'll find out.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    There are caponizing kits for sale, but they look very surgical to me. Let us know if you are successful, so many roos would live much longer lives if it can be done.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I know this is gonna sound mean, I truly dont intend for it to be...

If you love him, you will let him keep his 'crower' and find him a home where he can be happy and greet the sun every morning as he was intended to do.

Cock-a doodle-dooooooo [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:X2

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I disagree, as it is so hard to find a home for a Roo as it is. There are just too many places that won't allow Roos. I let mine all crow, but have no neighbors: however, it is like having a male dog, it may not be as nature intended it, but if eliminating the Crow lets him live a long and happy life, you should do it. There are so many roos culled each year, finding a home for one can be almost impossible, you never know who your giving them to or what they will do with them. JMHO. HenZ

2 people like this.
  7. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    Build a rooster's box in the pen (sound proof but well ventillated) and keep here in there from roosting time until 9am or 10ish. Most of your neighbors will be awake by then and won't probably mind a crowing roo. [​IMG]

8. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    I'm going to check with my vet and see what he thinks. I would never do the Caponizing myself! Looks horrible..and painful.

9. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    In case your vet doesn't tell you, the odds of the rooster surviving the surgery are slim. I think after a certain age, their blood doesn't clot as well, so they bleed to death really easily. Do a search on here about this topic, and you will get more information. Just wanted you to be aware.

Carrie

10. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    The caponizing is generally done to small chicks to raise as meat birds. I don't know if it can be done to full-grown roosters. Never heard of that before. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by