De Crowing Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MAS1975, Jun 5, 2008.

1. MAS1975

MAS1975 New Egg

Jun 5, 2008
    Does anyone know of any techniques for decrowing young roosters. When I was a child I knew a farmer who would de crow his roosters but I never learned the technique. If anyone is aware of such a technique please respond or email me at : [email protected].

Thanks!

Mark

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I felt like decrowing mine with a big rock at about 3 this morning.

3. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    ME TOO.I live in a development and im so scared sombody is going to get mad.

4. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

I just called 20+ vets on Tuesday, looking for someone to do the job for me ....
    Every office said, "We don't do that any more ..... its inhumane"

hmmmpphhh! :mad:

If you figure out how to do the operation, maybe you could become a 'traveling de-crower' and perform the surgery on my boy .... he is a beautiful LAP chicken, and I don't want to part with him .... but I'm not sure I can really live with a rooster crowing IN my home !!!! ?????

Lee

Oblio13 said:
    I felt like decrowing mine with a big rock at about 3 this morning.

ha ha ... funny post [​IMG]

_______​

5. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    my rooster has a pathetic crow, it's music to my ears!! [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, there is a method but I think part of the reason why it is inhumane is that survivability is not always so high, it's invasive, and is like making a human mute. Birds are a vocal animal and a lot of their communication is though sounds.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    I've heard rumors that you can stop a roo from crowing in the coop by putting a roost very close to the ceiling. The theory is that the roo will find the tallest roost to crow from. When he cannot get a full stretch for his crow, and bonks his head on the ceiling he won't crow.

Of course, if it does work, it'd only work inside.

Other option (possibly) is to caponize him. But I think that only works if you do it before he's sexually mature. And there's still no guarentee that will work. Plus, if he's without his manhood, you might as well put him in the stock pot 'cause he's not going to do his job as flock leader.

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had dinner at my vet's house yesterday and asked him about surgical procedures. The bottom line is that a rooster's vocal cords are so low that getting to them is major surgery.

I did a little internet research this morning and came up with these methods, but I have no idea how effective they are:

HOW TO KEEP YOUR ROOSTERS QUIET:

-Black out the bird's cage at night

-Put a muzzle and collar on the bird

-Put a hood or a sock with a hole over the bird's head, and cut out space for the beak and nose

-Soundproof your pens

-Raise the roost close enough to the ceiling so he can't stretch up to crow.

10. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by