DE DE DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by k625, Oct 23, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I finally got my hands on what the feed store calls food grade DE. It has taken them about a month to get this in. Here is the website of what the stuff is. I want to make sure that this is the right stuff before I give to the chickens.
    http://www.planetnatural.com/site/diatect-v-insect-control.html

Also, how much to put into their food?
    I also wanted to know if anyone uses Adams flee and tick mist on their chickens. I have heard it works well for mites and stuff?

Please let me know.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't think thats the right stuff....I get mine from gardenharvestsupply.com....read up on it at that site....mine does not come packaged like that but in a plastic bag and it looks like flour....and say foodgrade DE right on the bag....

Maybe someone else will chime in....don't give it to them til you see if someone else knows more....wish i could help more....

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Thats not food grade DE.

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

No, that is DE mixed in with an insecticide. It's not the right thing to feed them at all. The DE it's self might be feed grade but it's mixed with Pyrethrens.

The food grade DE should be coming to you in a feed bag, 50 lbs just like thier feed and it is mixed about a cup per 10 lbs. Sprinkle how you want on the bedding or the dust bath area. Some give it full strength for their chickens to dust bath in, and the chickens mix it up with the bedding as they go.

6. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    THANK YOU SOO MUCH!! I will have to return that tomorrow! Where is the cheapest/cheap shipping on DE you guys can find?

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I double posted...lol..sorry [​IMG] but atleast we found out for sure its not! [​IMG]...try the gardenharvestsupply site...but shipping is more then your DE will cost anywhere I think...first time I bought from them I only got the 10# bag ...shipping was more then the DE cost!...second time I have bought from them I got the 50# but shipping is still costly....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    what about the Adams flee and tick stuff. Has anyone ever used that?

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Check into Custom Milling, this link is for Food Grade DE Dealers in Florida.

Our CM dealer, in Woodbury, TN sells us the 50# bags for $20.00 a piece. Paid $64.00 for my first bag, never again! [​IMG]

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

10. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Is De also called fossil shell flour? I was looking on the perma guard web site, and it seems like it was the same thing? Their prices seem cheap compared to others, if its the same?

http://www.perma-guard.com/paypal_zone4.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by