DE (Diatomaceous earth) question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oneofthempeople, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Anyone use DE (Diatomaceous earth) if so can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the stuff for the coops and the Red lake Earth with Calcium DE

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people recommend food grade DE if they use it, but it is a waste of money in my opinion. It will not treat lice or mites, or worms, and many have used it with no great results. It is one of those things like apple cider vinegar--it may not hurt to use it once in awhile, but it is just not the miracle treatment or even necessary that some feel it is. In areas like Great Britain where mite treatments are hard to find, it is used often or advertised quite a bit in the chicken magazines. I think it can help to dry out a coop, but it also can be dangerous for chickens to breathe. Before plunking down money for it, I would read some of the threads here on it's use:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=de+use

3. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    They both work, but I personally use the uneddible stuff, I think the molecules are rougher so it gets the job done better.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    x2.I use Garden spray poultry dust.

5. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I am looking to use it for a temporary dust bath. We have had a long mid winter thaw and my coop run is getting wet I just want to dust them (dump some on there backs) for now to help keep them dryer and then some in the coop floor to keep the humidity down. I have replaced there sand box twice but with how wet it is they keep making it mud in a few hours.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay, I hope it works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by