De-fleaing an angora rabbit?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Whitewinterwolf, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    The last litter of kittens I took in had flea's.
    I have been very lucky until now, but now we are de-fleaing the whole house T_T
    How do i de-flea Poor Rin?
    And is it true that Advantix is safe to use on them? And if thats the case do I use dog or cat advantix?

...I really, really hate fleas...

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I think most things that are safe for cats are safe for rabbits.. but I would call your vet, or do some research, before trying ....

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Haha my vet is the one who told me to post on here and double check because they didn't know XD

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Make sure you know the weight of the animal. Some angoras are smaller than others.

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I don't know if advantix is safe for rabbits or not. I do know that frontline is not safe for rabbits. The rabbit vet I work with recommends revolution for rabbits with fleas and rabbits that are at higher risk for flea exposure because revolution for cats is safe for rabbits. Either the mauve (under 5lbs) or the blue (5-15lbs) depending on the size of the rabbit, use the whole dose just like you would for a cat. You'll want to do at least three consecutive treatments so that you can get anything that is left behind in the environment as it emerges.

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:She is 5 pounds! [​IMG] And she fit in the big vegie scale! Haha, she thought I was nuts.

7. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh that is great info, thank you!

8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh that is great info, thank you!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:She is 5 pounds! [​IMG] And she fit in the big vegie scale! Haha, she thought I was nuts.

If your vet told you to come here to uneducated, amateur animal lovers, may I encourage you to find a new vet?? You can also use a flea comb to pull the eggs out.

10. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts

If your vet told you to come here to uneducated, amateur animal lovers, may I encourage you to find a new vet?? You can also use a flea comb to pull the eggs out.

In all fairness he only does dogs XD
    He gave me the number of the exotics vet that does rabbits, but im still waiting to hear back from them.
    This was his second suggestion [​IMG] Probably not the brightest, but still the second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by