De Food Grade Dimatomaceous

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beck77, Aug 19, 2008.

1. beck77

beck77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Cedar Bluff Va
    I can not find DE where I live Whae else can I use to help my checks

2. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Hi, I had the same problem. I aksed here on the board and quite a few people helped me. I finally got a chance to look at the websites suggested and then armed with the specific names of companies and more specific info I went to my local feed store (where I got my chickens from) and asked if they ever got anything from PERMA GUARD.....they said yes and I told them that PERMA GUARD sells food grade DE. They have ordered it for me. Where did you get ypur chicks from? I would go there and ask them if they get products from PERMA GUARD, if so then they should be able to get DE. But if you do happen to find it anywhere else, make sure it is FOOD GRADE DE. Dont let anyone tell you it is and they just dont market it as food grade, they are lying. mary-kay

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I ordered mine online last weekend and paid about $27 for 10 pounds. There's a seller there who only accepts cashier's checks, which makes me nervous.

BYC user Spatcher sells DE, too. Send a PM for info.

Wish I'd known about Perma Guard! [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    DE is very expensive to ship.

You can also use STALL DRY or SWEET PDZ - perhaps one of those will be available at a feed-store near you.

5. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    spatcher sells it and in small size bags if you don't need 50lbs. Send him a PM [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Best to determine how much you'll use first, I use BUCKETS full at a time.
    Last year I used 100pounds (two big bags, I think they're 50 pounds each) - I just got two more 50 pound bags to get me through another year.

I fill up cat litter buckets and sprinkle from there using a small shovel - I cover the coop floor about once ever two or three months, I use it in the horse barn as well. And now and again I will sprinkle around the back yard - in the chicken run and area's where they dust bath.

I can't imagine a small 5 pound bag lasting very long at all.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  7. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    heck, if someone wants to buy some from us we have around 85 pounds of it here. I dont know why it would be expensive to ship in small amounts. I think you would be able to fit 10 pounds in a flat rate box that only cost $4.80 to ship.

8. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    It just depends what works for you. I only have 2 chickens in a small area of my back yard so I wouldn't need much.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:If you try buy from a website - the shipping is 99% of the time more than the DE cost.

I tried a couple of times to buy online, and it was crazy - I now ask family to BRING BAGS when they come and visit us - LOL cause that HUGE bag is only around $20 if you buy it in the feed store.

10. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    yeah, so I imagine the people selling 10 pounds for almost $30 are making a heck of a profit. I pay under $20 for 50 pounds. we are all smart people, do the math...I am going to see how much weight wise I can fit in a flat rate box that cost $4.80 to mail and maybe sell it to people that are getting ripped on shipping prices. I would be more apt to wanna help some one then wanna rip people off. I guess thats why I am always broke. LOL

we have 23 chickens that free range all day, I use about a bucket every 2 months. (smaller bucket) in 5 months we havent even used half a bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by