DE for deworming dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hunter1hall, Nov 11, 2009.

1. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    Can DE be used to deworm dogs? Has anyone had any luck if so?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    DE has never been proven to kill internal parasites in any animals.
    Ivomec or Safeguard works well for dogs
    Ivomec cannot be used on Collies or Collie crossbreeds

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    DE is more of a preventative than anything. If it even works internally. I kind of question the safety and use of feeding it to animals but I do know it works on external parasites alright. Any infestation bad enough to show symptoms though will probably need something stronger. If you are looking to treat something rather than just take a precaution against future problems you will need something more than DE. Plenty of chemical dewormers for dogs are sold in petstores and feedstores. Ivermectin does have it's risks mostly in herding breeds but occasionally the gene responsible for the sensitivity shows up in other breeds. You can actually get them tested for it if you want to go that far. There are plenty of dewormers to allow you to avoid ivermectin though.

4. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    My dogs had a few tapeworms show up this summer (I refuse to chemically treat my little ones - don't trust them). We add minced garlic to their food until it clears up. No guarantees, but it has helped us so far. Wish I could find a good natural flea preventative. We've tried many different "home remedies" but the little buggers still show up on the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by