1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DE for headlice?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chicky Mama, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Hi,I was wondering if anyone has tried DE for treating headlice. These lil' suckers don't want to leave my daughter's head and wondered if it would work. I searched on here but didn't get a yes or no answer. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I would be afraid it would get into her eyes.

Rufus

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I don't think it would work well. If I had a kid with lice, it wouldn't be my choice. JMO.

Of course, I have boys and I've already told them if they come home with lice, then their heads will be shaved.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    My oldest dd has gotten head lice twice since she started school. (she is in 5th grade now)

The key to getting rid of them is COMBING and picking all the nits out of her hair. Every single one! Go outside in the sunshine so you can see better. They make a metal comb that you can buy online and on ebay that works 110% better than the ones they supply in the headlice shampoo kits (which btw, the shampoo doesn't work either). I have tried every natural remedy, over the counter remedy and even had the pediatrician prescrible me some treament. It will not totally kill them off, you have to make sure all the nits/eggs are gone. Clean everything from sheets, carpets, cars, clothes, teddy bears, etc....very good.

These nasty little things are a HUGE pain in the you know what! Thankfully only one of my kids had them and it didn't spread out to the rest of us....Good luck!!!

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    DE is more of a preventive than a cure, but its should work on any non-adult lice, DE scratches the 'skin' of the bug so they dry out, If desperate I would try it after a shampoo, nightly

6. sunshineinsc

sunshineinsc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    columbia,sc
    I just went through the head lice saga because the little girl I babysit had them and was nice enough to share with my girls.

I don't think I would try DE for them, too much of a chance they would get it in their eyes or breath too much in.

It took a month of treating us to finally get rid of them. They have products that are not medicated you can use. I used them once a week for 4 weeks. That way any eggs that didn't die and hatched I got again. I also put vegtable oil on their head and let sit overnight. I had to wash their blankets, sheets and pillows everyday.

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    The shampoos work, but you have to leave it on loner than what the box will say. If you leave it on the recomended time, it won't work. Also, pick out the egg sacks that are attached to the hairs. I would shampoo, leave on for a good amount of time, pick out nits, then coat her hair in baby oil. You may have to repeat, but it will work.

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Mustard oil will be good too, if you can find it.

9. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I remember getting this when I was in High School. But it actually came from my sister who was in grade school. I am allergic to the lice shampoos. It made my head break out and never killed them all any way. So I used Sergents Flea and Tick Shampoo for dogs. It worked great. All dead. And if you have to go back into lice infested areas. They dont want to get back on you for at least a week. I would shampoo with that before helping rid the house of them. Then again afterwards..

Years later I worked at a motel and there was a room that had a family that was lice infested stay in it. I went immediatly home and used the flea soap and never got it even though I have very long hair and I handled all the bedding..

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have heard of ADams Flea n,tich spray
    at walmart for baby kittens , cats , dogs n, puppies.
    Maybe that will work.Its a plastic spray bottle .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by