DE for hookworms on 8 week old puppy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Break an Egg, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Hi everyone, I was just given the cutest puppy. He looks like a shepherd mix brown with a black mouth. He was given to me by a lady who works at a local vet clinic where he tested positive for hookworms.

I have DE food grade that I have been using on my chickens, and I was wondering If I can give some to the puppy to get rid of his worms?

If so, how much do I use and for how often?

The lady also brought with him some frontline plus and some heartguard and I was also wondering if the heartguard will get rid of the hookworms because the ingredients are 68 mcg ivermectin and 57 mg pyrantel as pamoate salt

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Ivermectin/HG all that does not take care of hookworms. DE wont either. You HONESTLY and TRUELY need the meds the vet will give you. Puppies die from hookworm, actually I was in on an autopsy where an adult dog dies of hooks and whips. They are not uncommon but DE will control parasite, not "treat" them. Same with the HG. I have tested fecals on dogs on HG and they will occasionally test positive for worms, HG helps control but does not "treat" them.

Good luck with your new puppy!!

Tiffany (CVT)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I found this info on " getridofthings.com " I have not had this problem but you can tyr it with the measurements below. I do no tsee that it would hurt to try.

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, as I've mentioned in "get rid of worms" is a great substance with which to naturally deworm your pets, and yourself if necessary. Food grade diatomaceous earth comes from fossilized algae that somehow kill intestinal parasites when ingested. Recommended dosages are as follows:

Cats = 1 teaspoon
    Kittens = 1/1 teaspoon

Dogs = 1-2 tablespoons
    Puppies = 1/2 tablespoon

4. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    thanks so much, I am still going to take him to the vet asap, but I just wanted to know if there was something I could do for the here and now.

Thanks alot for the info, I will post pics of him as soon as he wakes up, he got shots today and it's been a long day for him.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    DE has never been proven to do anything for internal parasites in any livestock or pet. It is, however, shown to be effective against external parasites (flies, lice, etc.).

I agree that you need a dewormer from your vet considering the puppy's age. They will also want a fecal sample to verify it is hookworm and that no other kinds of parasites are present.

6. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I beg to differ with greyfields about internal parasites and will post the link when I find it again. They are good for controlling internal and external but it takes a daily regimen and takes about 60 days. Get the wormer from your Vet and give a half teaspoon of FOOD GRADE DE in his food daily and you should be all set.

Please check: www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=926223

7. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Thank you all, I also have another conundrum, I can't let him poop in the backyard without my chickens getting hookworms, right?

I guess he can stay inside for a while, but I want him to get acquainted with the chickens asap. For now, I will just let him go poopie in the front yard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:There has never been a published study by any University anywhere (or otherwise) showing DE controls interal parasites. Send me a link to one if you know it, but I've been researching this for years now with the help of my Extension Agent. The 'best' result ever found showed only a trend of lower parasite loads on DE treated livestock, but they still required anthelmic treatment. I truly wished it worked on itnernal parasites, as I'd like to be as organic as possible. But, it's never been shown to control internal parasites only exterior.

Your money is FAR better spent taking a fecal to your vet then getting the correct anthelmic for the parasites you are treating. You will come out many $$$ ahead in the long run and wiser.

9. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Once hookworms get into your soil, they're there for practically ever. So REALLY keep the pup off your yard until you get the hooks eradicated! And no, I wouldn't mess around with DE. Even if you *knew* it would work (which no one does), you may not have 60 days to mess around waiting, with a little puppy.

You should be able to buy a 3-day course of fenbendazole (Safeguard) at any feed or supply store, but I'd go to the vet anyway.

10. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Greyfields did you check the site referenced on my post?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by