DE for my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajlynco, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I know DE is good for the girls to help with pests and disease, but how's the best way to administer it? I'm thinking about providing a tub with dirt/sand mixed w/DE so they can dust themselves. Or maybe leave the area under the coop (4X8) in dirt, add DE, and let them use that as a dusting area. How much dusting area do they need and how often do I add DE? I'll have 12 hens using the dust bath.
    I posted this in another thread but I need more input. Thanks BYCers. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I use a cat-liter box for my dust bath and it's in the pen in the summer and the coop during the winter months. I also have 12 chickens and they seem to all take turns using it. My girls free range everyday and they always dust bath in their favorite spot near the garden also. I usually change the dust bath when it seems to get low for when they bathe they scratch & kick it all over the place. Also I have been told that DE is not effective when it gets wet so I make sure I have the dust bathe inside when the weather conditions threaten.

3. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    M.Sue-What do you mix the DE with in the tub

4. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a bushel basket in my run that I mixed sand, peat moss, DE, and pine shavings in for the girls to dust bathe. I have also heard people say the use fireplace ashes in it, but have not tried that. My run is covered so it stays dry and "mostly" in the basket. When it gets low I add more. The girls really like it!

5. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:I mix sand & fire pit ashes (fine & well disintegrated)with the DE........equal parts. I use play sand and make I sure it's completely dry before mixing it all together.

6. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    What's the ratio of DE to sand, please?

7. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:I've always done equal parts.....For box....16 cups of each.....DE, Sand and Ash...I use my pampered chef 2 quart measuring/mixing bowl! lol

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I put 1 pound to half bucket of sand in this. Its a busing tub for dishes in a restaurant.
    [​IMG]

9. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:I need to get one of these. It's about the same size as my box but I know it definitely is sturdier plastic!

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    M.sue :

Quote:I need to get one of these. It's about the same size as my box but I know it definitely is sturdier plastic!

Was at a Denny's and asked the manager if she would sell me an old one . She said; got this $5. I said; deal, thank you.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by