DE for pools, ok for chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ella g, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ella g

ella g New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    when I went searching for DE, the guy at the feed store said they didn't sell it anymore, try the hardware store. The guy there said he didn't have any food grade DE, but he had the stuff folks use in pools and that it was the same thing. So I bought a 12 lb. bag and dusted to coop and run.

Now I'm wondering if I did something foolish. Is this kind of DE ok for the chickens??

2. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    From everything I have seen here NO! You have to use Food grade DE.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16110

Check out the FAQ on that link and scroll for the DE section. I am not anywhere near an expert on DE, but I know I have read in a bunch of places that you need to use food grade... [​IMG] I hope your chickies will be ok...

3. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    NO NO NO!!!
    You better get out there right now and clean out the coop and run as best you can....Your chickens will be poisoned!

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Only food grade DE. The type you use in the pools in poisonous to consume. If it doesn't say food grade, then it is absolutely NOT safe! The food grade DE is also known as fossil shell flour and is used in several food products that are on the market today. Bisquick is one of them!

OOPS! I had to come back and tell you WELCOME TO BYC!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

So I'm wondering...could you dust with bisquick in a pinch? But I guess you would be attracting more insects, huh?

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I don't think there is enough food grade DE in the Bisquick to make any difference. I wouldn't use it for dusting. Like you said, you'd just be attracting more pests.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OMGOSH! If I were you I would get out there ASAP and remove that! [​IMG] [​IMG] Darn pool guy! I hate when people say that without knowing for SURE! I hope your chickens are ok!

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    NO NO NO! i was at TSC and the people there actually told me to buy DE at the pool store. i informed them that it was not the same. they had no idea.

GET IT OUTTA THERE.

9. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I too asked for DE at TSC, they had no idea what I was talking about. The only place I found it was at the feed mill.

10. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    If you have a shop vac suck it up QUICK and stay away from the exhaust of the vac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by