DE for treating mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kickinchicken, May 30, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    OK, I did a BIIIIGGGG no no!! [​IMG] I got a new pullet from the same breeder and "assumed" that all would be ok and I can just add my new sebrite in at night with my 4 other girls (all have the same hatch date and were in the same brooder at the time I picked out the original 4) Houdini (new bird) has been here for a few days and I wanted to give her a once over and saw a wheat-colored bug cross her skin when I lifter her upper wing feather (the mite was on the TOP of her wing, not her armpit). I continued to look her over and saw one more. Nothing like a major infestation like you see with the red or black crusty skin but it was very obvious to me our new gal has a few mites. I dusted all five with food grade DE. Do I need Sevin dust now or some other pesticide? I looked over the other 4 and not one mite was found...I was a little rude about flipping them over and under and really checking the vent [​IMG] I even got the itchies myself just because I saw a mite... [​IMG]
    I am a newbie and this is my first mite sighting. My crew is 3 months old. Now, if it were dogs and we were talking fleas, ticks or ear infections...I'd be more than prepared![​IMG]

So what is my next step? And was I wrong for dusting with the DE?

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, not wrong to dust with DE, but I wouldn't stop there because it is likely that those bugs had an opportunity to lay eggs (hundreds of eggs) before you noticed them. Personally, I use DE as a preventative. In case of an infestation, I would use Pyrethrin or Carbaryl (Sevin Dust) on all your birds and in all the cracks, crevices, and nesting boxes in the coop. You'll need to repeat that treatment within 2 weeks in order to kill any newly hatched bugs before they mature and lay more eggs. I've seen posts from folks reporting success with the Frontline drops, but I've never tried that.

3. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I was a vet assistant years ago and when Revolution first came out it was a HUGE success with feline ear mites as it treated for a full month so it wiped out the adults as well as the eggs. Perhaps I can get that today at PetCo.

I always treat the coop and run and their dusting hole with DE. I actually dusted everyone yesterday with the DE, as well as a complete coop clean out and redusting. I think I will try the Revolution today. Luckily for me, I only have 5 birds to treat.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

If you do try the Revolution, how about coming back and posting a thread on your results. That would be just a one time treatment, right? Also, what dosage you used, i.e. just a few drops or the whole vial? I'd be very interested to know and I'm sure others would be, too.

5. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I didn't go with the Revolution as I was worried about the dose. I have NO IDEA what my birds weigh and have no way of getting a weight in mere ounces as they are 3 months old. I will keep on with the DE and perhaps, if I can remember, try the Sevin dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by