DE-humidifying Incubator? HELP!!!

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
First time trying to hatch eggs. I just set them this AM in a new Brinsea Mini Advance. It is turning the eggs, keeping the temp constant, but the humidity is high - 60%. I had 1 of the wells filled, but have now taken all the water out of it. The humidity is still going up to 60%. I have tried opening the lid a bit to let it out, but the temp drops a degree or two. It goes back up very fast however. The humidity will drop, but then go back up again - and that's with no water!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!

I can't find any vents on this thing. It has a fan.....I live in the Pacific Northwest, so we are always soggy, but the humidity is not high in the house. We have a dehumidifier attached to the furnace and it's set at 30%. The 'bator is in an unused bathroom....no shower, sink or toilet use. Could that still make a difference? I put it in there because it has the more stable temp in the house. I think I should maybe move it......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I do NOT want poached eggs.

Just bought the darn thing, calibrated it. I just picked up the lid again and got it down to 45%. I hate the fact the temp keeps fluctuating every time I have to vent the humidity. Completely toweled out the water wells. See how it goes this time......wish I had a broody hen
sad.png
This could be a looooooong night!!!!

Now it's down to 42% and seems to be holding. I can't imagine wiping the water wells dry makes that much difference? Any way......

Thanks for the responses. You KNOW I am going to be keeping my eye on it all night now.......Is 42% too low?

My digital hygrometer is wayyy off. I calibrated it, but it stayed at 50% when it was dry all the way up to about 65% humidity. It literally barely changed, i have a cheap-o hygrometer from petsmart and it is only 1% off when calibrated and works great. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. It seems to be very sensitive. I would vent the air and the hygrometer would drop immediately and then go back up. Now it's down to 40% and I'm worried with NO water in there, it might drop below 40% over night!!!! Like I said, it's going to be a long night.......

Quote:
Ok I know this sounds silly but I have done this especially when I got the new Acurite thermometer / Hygrometer.......

Do you have that one with the long wire probe?

And if you do is it inside the incubator or outside ( The digital part ) with wire on the inside?

Back
Top Bottom