DE-humidifying Incubator? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckking, Mar 25, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    First time trying to hatch eggs. I just set them this AM in a new Brinsea Mini Advance. It is turning the eggs, keeping the temp constant, but the humidity is high - 60%. I had 1 of the wells filled, but have now taken all the water out of it. The humidity is still going up to 60%. I have tried opening the lid a bit to let it out, but the temp drops a degree or two. It goes back up very fast however. The humidity will drop, but then go back up again - and that's with no water!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Sounds odd. Do you have the vents open? Is it very humid in your house?

3. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I can't find any vents on this thing. It has a fan.....I live in the Pacific Northwest, so we are always soggy, but the humidity is not high in the house. We have a dehumidifier attached to the furnace and it's set at 30%. The 'bator is in an unused bathroom....no shower, sink or toilet use. Could that still make a difference? I put it in there because it has the more stable temp in the house. I think I should maybe move it......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I do NOT want poached eggs.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Maybe your hygrometer is not working.

5. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Just bought the darn thing, calibrated it. I just picked up the lid again and got it down to 45%. I hate the fact the temp keeps fluctuating every time I have to vent the humidity. Completely toweled out the water wells. See how it goes this time......wish I had a broody hen [​IMG] This could be a looooooong night!!!!

6. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Now it's down to 42% and seems to be holding. I can't imagine wiping the water wells dry makes that much difference? Any way......

Thanks for the responses. You KNOW I am going to be keeping my eye on it all night now.......Is 42% too low?

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I believe it is the hygrometer. It takes awhile for it to change, too. The hygrometer will not show the change immediately.

8. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    My digital hygrometer is wayyy off. I calibrated it, but it stayed at 50% when it was dry all the way up to about 65% humidity. It literally barely changed, i have a cheap-o hygrometer from petsmart and it is only 1% off when calibrated and works great. Good luck!

9. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks everyone. It seems to be very sensitive. I would vent the air and the hygrometer would drop immediately and then go back up. Now it's down to 40% and I'm worried with NO water in there, it might drop below 40% over night!!!! Like I said, it's going to be a long night.......

10. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:Ok I know this sounds silly but I have done this especially when I got the new Acurite thermometer / Hygrometer.......

Do you have that one with the long wire probe?

And if you do is it inside the incubator or outside ( The digital part ) with wire on the inside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by