?De-Humidifying?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Wolf Queen, May 17, 2010.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi all. Every time I fill the little pool in my hovabators the humidity goes to between 50 and 60some %. Anyone got any good tips or suggestions to keep the humidity down till the appropriate time? Paper Towel, regular grey egg carton, etc???
    Thanks, the Queen

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    What is the humidity without filling the pool? Maybe just a damp sponge instead of filling with water.

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Im not sure. Ive never not had water or something in there and actually I was just going over the instructions and it says only to cover all the floor space of the middle pool and not to fill it but to me thats just weird [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Covering some of the surface area of the water will decrease the evaporation and bring the humidity down.

5. toxo

toxo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Gillingham, UK
    Humidity is difficult to pin down because it varies from place to place.

There's humidity in the air. Hens don't sit in baths of water. We put in water to offset the increase in heat in the incubator but if the normal humidity is high enough there's no need. If you search these forums you'll find lots of people who always do it dry. That can be dangerous too because some areas need some water. Make sure your hygrometer is reading true and if there's enough humidity in the air already then don't add any water until lockdown. When you do add water it works on surface area. The more water surface you have exposed, the higher the humidity and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Paul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by