DE in BABIES FOOD?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dilly, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Should I or can I safely add some DE to the Chick starter from day one? I was thinking this would help eliminate the possibilty of pasty butts.

Thanks

2. WikkitGateFarm

WikkitGateFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Pickaway County, Ohio
    Are you trying to control insect pests in the food as you store it? DE is for the outsides.

Available fresh clean water, dry bedding, general cleanliness, proper temperatures, and other things that reduce stress will help. A little pasting here and there is normal as they get their guts accustomed to working on real food. It'll fall off as the down comes out. Just watch to be sure they don't get pasted closed. That's when you have to break out the damp rags.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can use Food Grade DE in feed at a rate of no more than 2% of the total feed, however, I don't put DE in chick starter other than maybe a cup in a big 50# bag and stir it around to kill any bugs that may find their way inside. Mine is stored in metal garbage cans out on my covered deck, so it's plausible that a bug could find its way in. Not sure what if anything it would do to help pasty bums, but organic, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother of Vinegar (sediment) at a rate of a tablespoon or so in a quart waterer seems to help if they are having pasty bum problems.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Just wondering about the *reason* for thinking this?

Pat, getting 20 chicks this weekend

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Quote:Just wondering about the *reason* for thinking this?

Pat, getting 20 chicks this weekend

Well since they use it in the feed at 5 % ratio, bedding on the body in and around coop etc. Also on their site I read the following and thought hmmmm maybe this will help with pasty butt.

"There are some features about DE that correspond with its ability as both a digestive aid and a colon cleanser" If they are having pasty butts, obviously something is not setting right maybe eating shavings? Just tought I would ask.

What sort of chickens are you getting Pat?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    All the pasty butt problems I have heard of over the years is usually caused by stress, not enough water intake and feeding too early after they come out of the incubator.....

Personally, I've never heard of giving DE in a young chicks feed...

7. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Good that is what I wanted was a concensous on the use or non use.

Thanks

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Mostly speckled Sussex, also some golden Campines and buff chanteclers. Will pick them up on sun. or mon. Am definitely entering Anxiety Mode [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by