1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

DE in kitten pen?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by derby, Sep 14, 2008.

1. derby

derby Songster

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Out of necessity (theirs, not ours), we have had to take over the care of some feral/ barn kittens - about 5-6 weeks old. I put them in a bin at night to protect them from predators. I put leaves in the bin so they would learn to eliminate in leaves. After a few days, the bin smelled like something had died in it - far worse then my coop has ever done. I was thinking of sprinkling DE in their bin to help out with odors and reduce fleas. Can DE be around kittens that young?

Thanks,
    Derby

2. texasgirl

texasgirl Songster

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Are you taking out the soiled leaves each night and putting in fresh?
    I don't see a problem putting DE in with them underneath the leaves maybe, I wouldn't want them breathing it in if they rustled the dust up though.

3. freshegg

freshegg Songster

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I was kinda wondering the same thing about puppies. they are 3 weeks and have seen fleas but they are too young for advantage so will DE be ok

4. If you put a litterbox in there and cleaned it daily it would be really easy and it probally wouldnt smell.

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Songster

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you want them to be used to using leaves, put a litter box filled with leaves, that way you can clean it out daily, and they get used to eliminating in leaves.

6. derby

derby Songster

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Sometimes the solution is so obvious once someone else says it! Thanks!

Derby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: