DE isn't killing my ants!!

mener6896

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Noblesville, IN
I bought a 50 lbs bag of Food Grade DE for all my pest problems. I dumped a bunch on every ant hill I could find. Only to go out this morning and fine new hills right over where I just put the DE!!

Now I'm beginning to wonder how well this will work for keeping mites and such off my girls.

Hard shelled insects DE wont help you with . If it fire ants there isnt a lot that will destroy them.
they have pretty much had the book thrown on them so are pretty imune.
I believe one way of disposing of them is fire but thats too dangerous.
Have you tried contacting your Farm Extension and see what they recomend?

when we lived in Fla I used something called Ambro, don't know if they still make it but it came in granules, and you just spread some around the bottom of the mound and they would take it inside to the queen.It was amazing to watch them carry it inside the mound. if they still make this stuff try it.If not Try pouring a pot of boiling water into the top of the nest. marrie

has it rained there? DE works like razer blades, it cuts up there wax coating on their bodies so they dehydrate and die. I put some on an ant hill here and they are now gone.

Boric Acid kills roaches and ants. Same as Mule Team Borax in the laundry section, put some in a ketchup/mustard bottle and squirt it where needed. Or buy some at Family Dollar for roaches that comes in a squirt bottle. Apply DRY. If coming in the house, spray it around your foundation, and into any ant hills near the house.

Also kills fleas. Same thing as FleaBuster, Terminator, etc.

Best of luck!

I'm curious - When I had a beach house in San Diego, I used Borax to shampoo the carpets. I had two dogs who went to the beach almost daily and no fleas, which was practically unheard of in that area. I haven't tried it in dry form. Would it be toxic to the chickens if they came across it? I have an ant hill that needs some attention, but it's in the yard and I don't want to hurt the girls.

idk but good luck
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif
frow.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom