1. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I've been reading the discussions on DE as to if it's effective as an insecticide or not. As in all things there are different opinions out there. The consensus seems to be that it is helpful. My goal is to keep insects and smell to a minimum. I like the fact that the food grade DE is natural but I'm not opposed to dropping a chemical bomb on the insect if necessary. I saw one mention of using lime in the coop and run to fight smells. I assume it doesn't affect bugs tho. Many people out there use lime? What type of chemicals do people use for insects?[​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I sprinkle DE under the shavings in the coop and on the poop board. I don't really know whether it is effective or not, but, so far they don't have any bugs on them. I'm not sure whether or not it cuts down on smell. I've never used lime. I don't know if it is safe for the chickens. I know that some people use it in their compost pile.

3. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I have used DE and Sevin Dust for lice with my chickens. I used the Sevin dust the first time I found lice on my chickens. I had to redo it because I dusted to lightly because I was afraid of using too much, since it is a chemical. I have used DE ever since and found it to be just as effective, actually more, because I can use it as a preventative. I like the DE best for several reasons.
    It is natural, so no chemicals.
    I put it in their favorite dusting places, as a preventative, and they dust themselves!
    No withdrawal time for the eggs like with the Sevin.

I also use DE in my garden, it works fine for me, I actually think it worked better than the Sevin on the potato bug larva. I also sprinkle it on the compost and anyplace there are flies breeding, because the DE kills maggots too.

I edited to add;
    I know people use lime in their barns for odor. I dont know if it is a good thing to use in a coop, because it is caustic.
    I use sand on the floor of my coop, and I LOVE it. As long as I scoop the droppings daily, there is no odor in my coop at all, and no bugs either. It is sooo much better than shavings.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I know people use lime in their barns for odor. I dont know if it is a good thing to use in a coop, because it is caustic.

"AG" lime (Calcium Carbonate) is not caustic to any real degree
    Calcium Carbonate is the main component of oyster shell

"Hydrated" lime (Calcium Hydroxide) is VERY caustic when wet​

5. Rooster Cogburn

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of sand on the coop. I'll try that. Right now my six EEs are in a brooder so it will be a while before they make it to the coop. I've had chickens in the past when I had a farm and wasn't too worried about odors but now I'm in a residential area and want to keep friendly relations with the neighbors. If I can find some food grade DE in my area I think I'll give it a go.
    Thanks again:D

6. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
  7. Alpha Chick

Alpha Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    Quote:When we first put our girls outside they were on our concrete patio slab. After a week or so the flies started coming and there were tons of them. ICK. I read about DE and thought it wouldn't hurt to try. Our local feed stores carry it, so it was easy to get and not expensive.

I came hope, we moved the coop (starter coop, tractor style), washed down the concrete and sprinkled DE. Now, about 6 weeks later we have little smell and few flies. When I see one, like tonight, I sprinkle in the coop floor and the little run and within minutes the flies are gone. Can't beat it in my opinion.

8. Rooster Cogburn

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I found 50lb bags for $20 at a local farm supply store today.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  9. BarredRockCafe

BarredRockCafe New Egg

Mar 21, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Where did you get the DE? I live in Vancouver and found it at Thrifty Feed but it's just a small bag and was $7. Thanks!

10. Rooster Cogburn

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    I'm from Vancouver as well. Go to Oregon City and go to Coastal Farm and Ranch. They have the 50lb bags down stairs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by