DE Product

lmdengler

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2017
Upstate New York
Can someone tell me what DE exactly is? My husband bought a bag of what he said is DE from Lowes . It is a white bag that says insect killer and that it contains DE. Is this the right stuff? And how do you recommend using it?

Attachments

• IMG_4719.PNG
    IMG_4719.PNG
    974.6 KB · Views: 7
I use the dichotomous earth on just about everything that has to do with the chickens. When I bought a bag of feed that had weevil. Sprinkled DE over the feed and out they came. It took a while but I smushed all of them. No more weevils.

If you are going to use DE for your chickens, you need to use FOOD GRADE. It appears what you have purchased has other ingredients and is for use in the garden only.

Do some research/reading to determine if it's a product you want to use. There are quite a few heated debates on using - look for threads here on BYC and the web.
If after careful reading you feel like it's something for you - then find the proper product - most feed stores carry DE, but look for labeling that tells you it's FOOD GRADE and usually it will also have dosage/feeding instructions on the bag/container as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY
71TDPFE%2BusL._SL1250_.jpg

upload_2017-8-12_12-42-46.png

Last edited:
The stuff he bought has a PESTICIDE in it ! Take it back.
I made that same mistake !

I bought Food Grade on Amazon for like $12 but I think someone said somewhere that Feed stores carry a big 50# bag for cheap and it is 100% DE.
For me that is not around here that I can find. But maybe in Upstate NY you can get it

Thank you everyone! I'm glad I posted the question. I had a bad feeling when I saw it. I went online and found some and I'm going to check TS myself.

I am so confused ! My conworker gave me full instructions on using it and what to do. And after reading your post now I'm worried about it. The last thing I want to do is give any of them a problem. After all I have gone through with Daisy if something like DE made her sick I'd never forgive myself

Back
Top Bottom