DE question -do they eat it? Is garden grade the same as chicken grade

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by YolandaT, Jun 1, 2010.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hi, my chicks are 6wks old and still just on starter feed. But I read so much about DE, I have a few questions. Do the chickens EAT this stuff? Or is it just for pest control/drying out their poops?

I use in my garden, from Home Depot: Safer Brand Diatomaceous Earth, Ant and Crawling Insect Killer, DE PLUS with patented baits. Is this the correct kind of DE that I should put in my coop and run and/or in their food?? It isn't Pool Grade, it is safe for use in my garden (I do wash it off) so is this the correct kind or do I need to get DE from the feed store?

Thanks!

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't use the garden DE or the stuff for pool filtration. It can sicken/kill a bird. Get the DE from the feed store and make sure it says "food grade." Some people do feed DE to their birds as a preventative for worms and as an additive to the feed to prevent bug infestation. Many more only use the DE in coops, runs, bedding to control odor, flies, dampness, and external parasites like lice and mites.

3. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Yes, it should have the words Codex on it. (Food Grade). I get it from my feed store.

I have been taking the DE myself in a shot of orange juice, so yes it is safe for your pets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by