1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DE Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lexustami, Jul 8, 2007.

1. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Hello all,

I'm new here... I've been lurking for the past 5-6 weeks or so and have had most of my questions answered by doing a search of the message boards. Thanks to all who have posted before me and to those who supplied the answers.

Anyway, I am looking for a local source of DE. Lowes has a small bag but it isn't labeled food grade so I didn't buy it. My feed store has it but once again, it isn't labeled food grade.

I asked about ordering food grade and the girl looked it up for me and this is what she found. It was under Animal Nutrition in her catalog.

RED LAKE EARTH. Unique, naturally occurring mineral deposit which typically contains 65% Diatomaceous Earth (skeletal remains of algae) and 35% Montmorillonite (calcium rich volcanic deposit).

Approved for use as an anti-caking agent or as an inert carrier in all types of feed in amounts not to exceed 2% of total diet.

Is this basically the same thing?

I would rather buy it locally as it would be so much cheaper but if this isn't exactly the same then I will just order it online. (cheapest place online to order?)

Thanks.

Tami

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  2. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Welcome to BYC!!! Sorry I dont have an answer for you, I was hoping I could also find a website taht sold DE cheap.

Shannon

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

4. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Thanks Cynthia.

I ordered a 50lb bad today. They were by far the cheapest I've been able to find... including the shipping!

Thanks again.

Tami

5. Super Chickenman

Super Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Honest to gosh, I have been researching this for about 2 hours now. The cheapest...ebay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by