1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am getting my bigger coop done this weekend and I want to do the deep layer method. I have been searching for the DE locally and this is all that I had found. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct DE product to use?
    it is called concern by saferBrand.

Here is the link to their website I found.

http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/97024

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I know you need Food Grade DE. This doesn't seem to say if it is food grade.

3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Our Blue Seal carries food grade DE. I believe you are looking for the amorphous type of DE as opposed to the crystalline type.

4. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I found this in a garden center and didn't buy it because it wasn't food grade. It sounded like it had some kind of chemical in it. I'll be very interested to hear what other people say as I can't find the food grade.

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I just spoke with the store owner on the phone so I didn't get to go and actually check out the bag as of yet. The store owner said this is not the same as the stuff for the pools so i wasn't sure if this is the right stuff or not. I am not having alot of luck finding the food grade and when I tell them why I need it they act like I am crazy! LOL Oh well, let them think that! [​IMG] I will keep looking! Thanks!!

6. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    i found this...seems reasonable [​IMG]

www.earthworkshealth.com

sorry...trying to get a link put in was kicking my tail feathers! [​IMG]

7. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
  8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    We ended up buying our DE on line. We could not find food grade anywhere near us. I would check out on line since it takes very little to do the job a small bag should last you a while.

9. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks for the links!
    I think I will have to purchase online because there really is no one close to me that carries it. I am surprised no one has it here because there are a good number of farms in the area.

10. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Do a search here on using DE. I have used DE for 3 years now and really like it. I buy mine from a place called Custom Milling.... custommilling.com they are in Georgia....good prices....Good luck
    Tink

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by