DE Shipping

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spatcher, Oct 26, 2008.

1. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Some of you have bought DE from me here in the past but would like to tell you about a rude awakening I got about a week ago. I ship in USPS flat rate boxes and had been having problems getting 8 pounds in the box when the DE was in storage bags. So, smart me started packing it loose and then, using shipping tape, sealing all the seams on the box.
    Anyway, about a week ago I shipped 2 boxes to Florida packed in this manner. I was awakened the next morning by a Federal Postal Agent in Tampa calling to ask what I had shipped to Florida. He stated that the Post Office had been "isolated" until they could determine what the "white powder" was. When you are half awake, try pronouncing "diatomaceous earth"! Tried to explain what it was and what it was used for then gave up and told him I would e-mail him a web-site explaining its composition and uses, which I did. He e-mailed me back and thanked me and said he now had a working knowledge of DE. Sorry this is a long post but thought you might get a kick out of it. I did, about 2 days later when all my body functions returned to normal. Needless to say I am back to packing in storage bags regardless of the difficulty!
    Tim

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am sorry but I had to laugh. I would have made chocolate to if I got a call like that. Good thing you emailed him the link or there probobly would have been more trouble.

3. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I'm laughing too. NOW!!!

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Now THAT's a real wake-up call! Come to think of it... the package I received from you (packaged loose in the box) was emitting little "poofs" of white powder when I retrieved it from our rural postal box [​IMG].

Glad you were able to settle things down relatively easily... dealing with the post office over something like that could have been a real nightmare!

I'd gladly settle for a bit less in the box to have the benefit of the added bag with my next order!

5. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    ChanceRider if you order again, It WILL be the correct weight and it WILL be in plastic!!!
    Tim

6. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    A friend had to fly out and grabbed an overnight bag out of her bird room. She was held up at Airport trying to explain the white powder on her bag they also tested it!!!!!!

7. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Tis a different world in which we live!

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] It sure IS a different world. I will keep this in mind when I order DE!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Sent my first DE since the "incident"! Am now selling 7# for 21.30 including shipping and sealed in storage bags. USPS will be so proud of me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by