De-spuring a Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknewbie, Aug 6, 2010.

1. chicknewbie

chicknewbie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Yadkinville
    I have a BO roo who takes great care of his 8 hens. The only problem is his 2" spurs. He has cut on hen pretty badly even though she is wearing an apron. Has anyone ever tried de-spuring a rooster? I was thinking that they do this to the dew claws on small puppies. Could you do this to a rooster when small? Just a thought.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Here ya go............Pop

Trimming Spurs;

Trimming spurs is very common and most easily accomplished with the use of a Dremmel tool and cut off wheel. Get someone to hold the bird, cut the spur 3/8ths-1/2" out from the leg. The heat from the wheel usually cauterizes the root, but if bleeding occurs, pressure on the spot will stop it in a few minutes. Twisting the hard part off works also as prescribed above, but it leaves a weapon to harden in a few days. The Dremmel tool is the best method and easy.

The cock will struggle a little, but once he is on the ground will act as if nothing happened. Since chickens do not feel pain in the same way other animals do, I have concluded that the struggle is caused by the unfamiliar buzzing of the tool and resistance to being manipulated.......Pop

Spur Video;

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Lollipop beat me to it! The link he posted is my favorite spur removal video.

4. chicknewbie

chicknewbie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Yadkinville
    Thanks ever so. I know the girls will be happy with the shorter spurs.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:What?

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm thinking that he means here to remove it permanently (as in dew claws on a pup) [​IMG] ... it would be great if this could be done when young. [​IMG]

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What?

Just reffering to the fact that dubbing or spur trimming doesn`t affect them at all. From the time you finish and set them down, they act like nothing ever happened. They don`t sulk, itch, or show any grief whatsoever........Pop

8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I use a hack saw on my mean roos' spurs, they don't like being hacked but they don't seem to miss their spurs, and, NO MORE SPUR MADE SCARS!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by