De-Spurring on all breeds, or just big breeds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScavengerBird, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ScavengerBird

ScavengerBird New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Florence, Alabama
    I have a small flock of Phoenixes who have cohabited just fine for over 5 years now. Lately a few of my boys have started picking small fights with one another that mostly results in a lot of sound, but no real damage.

I have wondered about de-spurring them, just in case, along with my 3 big Roos, who are in a separate pen.

I've been doing a lot of research on the Twist-and-Pull method, and just might try it tomorrow. My question is, can this method be applied to smaller breeds? Every thread, video, etc. has shown a large breed of Roo, but never a smaller breed!

My next question is, cornstarch or sugar? Which is the best for helping blood flow to quickly stop?

Finial question, is there a way to make the spur simply not grow back after the sheath is removed? I ask because years ago I had a RIR Roo that somehow popped off his spurs (One one day and the other about a month or so later, I never found them or found out how he did it) and they never grew back. He had a small, flat scar there, but his spurs never regrew. How could I purposefully recreate that outcome with my guys with the least amount of stress on them?

2. ScavengerBird

ScavengerBird New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Florence, Alabama
    I'm still curious about these questions I have, if anyone has any insight!

Thanks!

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have a big rooster with hens, and their feathers are getting marred. I am thinking of doing him, too, but have not done it yet. Hope some one posts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by