1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DE under strawberry plants?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by punkin, Jul 7, 2008.

1. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I know this sounds like an EasyGarden question, but since so many of you use DE in your coops, I thought I would try here first. (hope this is the right place to post)

Today, I was lifting strawberry runners (rooted in black 4" cups half burried in the bed) and I also lifted a black widow spider with her egg sack with it.[​IMG] I have found many spiders (including more black widows) in my beds. I hate spiders. [​IMG]

My question is: Would it be safe to sprinkle Food Grade DE underneath the strawberry plants? Is it good for that kind of pest control? [​IMG]

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    That's a good question, Tammy. I tried the food-grade DE around the base of my house to see if it would help with the boxelder bug and ants, but I haven't seen a difference.

3. punkin

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I forgot all about the ants. Here we have fire ants. I wonder if it would work on them if you sprinkled it on the mound and then disturbed them. Anyone?

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    It does work for fire ants but only temporarily.
    Right now I've got fire ants from he** around my coop. I'm going to have to keep the girls locked up for a couple weeks and put down some AMDRO around the coop. They're so bad I can't stand in one place for more than a second or I'm getting stung. My feet and ankles (DW's as well) are covered in stings. Good thing we're not allergic.

5. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  6. punkin

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:We do have one nest about 3 ft from the coop. I think I will dig it up and scatter it. That seemed to work with one in my flower garden. Believe me, I was very careful.

Sorry about your stings and having to put your chickens up [​IMG]

7. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Does a strong dishwashing detergent mixture help? I don't think it will harm your plants but it will sure wreak havoc with the ants and spiders (I would hope).[​IMG]

8. punkin

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Do you mean spraying it under the plants? [​IMG]

9. Birdgardengal

Birdgardengal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2007
    Ephrata, WA
    I was told to use instant grits (powered kind) to get rid of ants when you can not use poisons. You find it by the instant potatoes in the stores. the ants carry it back to the nest and eat it and as soon as they drink water it swells and they blow up. It does work! And it did take care of our ant problem. You can sprinkle it in your home or out side. the ants don't even leave a dead trail. They just disapear. I don't know if it would work on spiders but it really worked on ants for us. I hate black widows. I have never been smart enough to be afraid of very many things, but Black Widows scare me to death!

10. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    The BEST killer I have found for fire ants is liquid dishsoap and water. Get a quart of water, squirt about ½" of dishsoap (we use concentrated Dawn) in the water. Always add water before the soap or you turn it all to bubbles. Shake/swirl gently to mix then find your antbed. Stir up the bed and really tick them off then pour the whole thing down into the main outlet of the mound. It may take 2-3 days but the ant bed will die. We had so many anthills and my kids are actually allergic to their bites so they were even afriad to go outside. I went on a killing spree one day and now you would be hard-pressed to find more than 2-3 hills. And the only reason I haven't done away with them is I keep forgetting about them...lol

If you have a gallon or 2 gallon jug you can mix some up and wipe out several antbeds before needing to "refuel". Works. I swear.

ETA: we tried the instant grits thing - all we ended up with was fat happy ants that didn't have to travel far for a free meal.... :|

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by